What's new

best browser for low cpu usage in Sp3

malberttoo

It's really a pity that the term MUI is now used as abbreviation for Modern User Interface. It has been used by Microsoft for years as abbreviation for Multilingual User Interface.

Not only that, to me MUI just sounds "techy". Most of my customers love me because I try to never speak tech to them, I try to make it as basic and clear and as understandable as possible what I'm talking about.

It's confusing enough for Windows 8 noobs as it is, differences between Desktop and Modern apps and Desktop and Start environments. Talking about a "Modern" app or environment means a lot more to them than MUI.

Just my .02., feel free to carry on however you've been doing it! :cool:

OP
Enrico D.

Enrico D.

remember to answer to the initial issue, is IE the best desktop browswer for the CPU usage (the lowest) in Sp3?

For what I see in the task manager when I watch a video I just see the internet explorer line, quile with firefox I see firefox + adobe plug in, and it's a mess. With Chrome you see multiple lines... and you need to take a calculator and begin to sum :)

wynand32

Not only that, to me MUI just sounds "techy". Most of my customers love me because I try to never speak tech to them, I try to make it as basic and clear and as understandable as possible what I'm talking about.

It's confusing enough for Windows 8 noobs as it is, differences between Desktop and Modern apps and Desktop and Start environments. Talking about a "Modern" app or environment means a lot more to them than MUI.

Just my .02., feel free to carry on however you've been doing it! :cool:

I tend to agree with you, and typically use "modern app" and "desktop app" to delineate between the two. In fact, I think there's room for that even beyond Windows 8.1--OS X, iOS, Android, etc. all also have "modern" app elements, in that they're touch-centric, more simplistic (trading features for ease-of-use particularly with touch UIs), and full-screen (i.e., not windowed, although Microsoft will be blurring that distinction with windows modern apps in Windows 9).

malberttoo

remember to answer to the initial issue, is IE the best desktop browswer for the CPU usage (the lowest) in Sp3?

For what I see in the task manager when I watch a video I just see the internet explorer line, quile with firefox I see firefox + adobe plug in, and it's a mess. With Chrome you see multiple lines... and you need to take a calculator and begin to sum :)

The bottom line is, the SP3 is Microsoft's product, and so is IE. In this case, Metro IE was given extra attention to make sure it works well in a touch and Pen environment. It will probably be your best bet for now.

Kris

I use Firefox and Chrome. I tried to give MUI IE a chance but it lacks the extensions and syncing with all my other devices I have come to love using Chrome and Firefox. I might have to charge more often but a small price to pay for the conveniences that I have grown accustomed too.

bluegrass

Metro IE is ok but I've got tired of using it and have set Desktop IE as default.

Metro IE annoyances:
1) Accessing bookmarks is a pain. In desktop mode I simply have the Favorites Bar shown and I can easily access them. In Metro IE it's not very intuitive..
3) Metro IE never actually closes. Swipe down simply minimizes it because it still shows in task manager. This is really no big deal other than when I open it again. Now I have 2 tabs. Do it again and I have 3 tabs.. At one point, before I realized what was going on, I ended up with 7 open tabs in Metro IE. In Desktop IE, when I close it, it's closed..

You may not have noticed it but if you bring up the toolbar on the bottom of MUI IE, you just hit the star button to see your favorites.

I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by tabs. I didn't think there were tabs in MUI IE. I did open and close MUI IE several times and than went to task manager and it only showed one copy of MUI IE open.

I believe one of the design feature of MUI IE was to keep your site viewing window with as little clutter as possible. I know I personally would remove my desktop toolbars and anything that I could remove to give me more viewing of the website that I am on. After all, isn't the web browsers main function to view the website.

bluegrass

Check this

Interesting Frank. I had the problem where I lost my MUI IE. I can't remember how I got it back. I know I struggled getting it back and it wasn't as simple as how this YouTube video gets it back. Thanks for the tip. These kind of things should be kept in the "Stickies" somewhere.

raqball

You may not have noticed it but if you bring up the toolbar on the bottom of MUI IE, you just hit the star button to see your favorites.

I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by tabs. I didn't think there were tabs in MUI IE. I did open and close MUI IE several times and than went to task manager and it only showed one copy of MUI IE open.

I believe one of the design feature of MUI IE was to keep your site viewing window with as little clutter as possible. I know I personally would remove my desktop toolbars and anything that I could remove to give me more viewing of the website that I am on. After all, isn't the web browsers main function to view the website.

Yes I am aware of the tool bar on the bottom and the star but its cumbersome when compared to having the favorite bar always showing in desktop IE. Also, the favorites in metro IE are randomly ordered and there is no way to sort them.

Maybe tabs is a bad word. Here is what I mean.

Screenshot (2).png

I have 3 open tabs / windows even though I have never asked metro IE to do so. When I am done on the web, I swipe down to close metro IE. Later when I open metro IE again it opens a new tab window. This however is random. Half the time it starts fresh with only one tab / window and half the time it opens with previous tabs / windows still active.

Maybe I am not doing a good job of explaining the behavior.

bulls96

There's an option to always display the tabs on the MUI IE. look for it in preferences. Tried that but went back to just having the websites on dialay n the screen.

malberttoo

Yes I am aware of the tool bar on the bottom and the star but its cumbersome when compared to having the favorite bar always showing in desktop IE. Also, the favorites in metro IE are randomly ordered and there is no way to sort them.

Maybe tabs is a bad word. Here is what I mean.

View attachment 3574

I have 3 open tabs / windows even though I have never asked metro IE to do so. When I am done on the web, I swipe down to close metro IE. Later when I open metro IE again it opens a new tab window. This however is random. Half the time it starts fresh with only one tab / window and half the time it opens with previous tabs / windows still active.

Maybe I am not doing a good job of explaining the behavior.

When you want to fully close it, you have it to pull it down the bottom and then hold it there, and then wait. In a second, the icon that you're holding will then flip all the way around and turn into the "e" tile that's on your Start screen. Now let go of it, and now it's truly closed.

That's the same procedure for any other Modern app by the way.

raqball

There's an option to always display the tabs on the MUI IE. look for it in preferences. Tried that but went back to just having the websites on dialay n the screen.
Yes I tried that last week but it does not display the favorites bar..

Went back to hiding that as well..

When you want to fully close it, you have it to pull it down the bottom and then hold it there, and then wait. In a second, the icon that you're holding will then flip all the way around and turn into the "e" tile that's on your Start screen. Now let go of it, and now it's truly closed.
That's the same procedure for any other Modern app by the way.

I did not know that.. Mucho thanks! :)