What's new

Best browser for SP3?

alexanderu

Hey Guys,
I've noticed using chrome makes my battery drain significantly... What browser do you use, and what do you recommend?

thisiscarlo

The Metro version of IE has grown on me quite a lot over the past few days. It's surprisingly efficient and webpages just look beautiful. I would kill for Adblock on IE but for the most part I'm liking it.

Still have Chrome installed and logged in using one of my profiles just to be safe, but it's a failsafe browser for work rather than being my main one.

Kif

Easy IE 11 metro or desktop version. It's the only browser optimized for the SP3.

Last edited:

Geneo

I just use both IE's. One lets me use addons like Lastpass, one doesn't. I've never used Chrome, and have no interest in it. IE works great for me.

As a side note, I was using a MBPro. I find the sp3, unlike the MB, hooks to the internet consistently, at full speed, and connects virtually instantly. My MB was only getting half the connection speed about half the time and I would usually have to turn off/on the wifi in order for it to connect.... even after 3 updates. When it did connect, it took several seconds of 'searching' to hook up.
Is Safari better than IE? Meh. But there's a world of difference in the machines (from my experience).

Xiasi

I like Metro IE but after moderate usage the fan seems to come on and stay on while the browser is up. I have tried closing everything else and it still happens. This does not occur when I use the desktop version of IE or Chrome.

Is this just me? I would prefer to use the metro version but this fan issue bugs me.

X

glr

I just use both IE's. One lets me use addons like Lastpass, one doesn't.

Geneo - Which IE version allows the Lastpass addon? Got to have it as old guys like me need all the help with memory that they can get.

malberttoo

I've started using IE almost exclusively on the SP3. I tried to use Metro, but honestly, not being able to use AdBlock Plus just kills it for me. I would much rather use Metro than Desktop, but I was amazed in only the firs half hour of surfing, how ad-laden the pages are that I normally frequent.

ctitanic

I like Metro IE but after moderate usage the fan seems to come on and stay on while the browser is up. I have tried closing everything else and it still happens. This does not occur when I use the desktop version of IE or Chrome.

Is this just me? I would prefer to use the metro version but this fan issue bugs me.

X
If you are having this issue is because you one visiting pages with a lot of flash contest. One way to avoid the issue is to block Ads by installing some tracking protection addons

Capture.JPG

ctitanic

I've started using IE almost exclusively on the SP3. I tried to use Metro, but honestly, not being able to use AdBlock Plus just kills it for me. I would much rather use Metro than Desktop, but I was amazed in only the firs half hour of surfing, how ad-laden the pages are that I normally frequent.
The tracking protection addons installed in the desktop version work in the metro version.