What's new

Best Buy and Microsoft Store

camis1

I love my Surface RT, but I am excited about the Surface Pro. Tried Best Buy in person. Could not find a single sales member who knew anything about the availability of the Pro on Saturday the 9th. Tried calling the various stores here in Northern Jersey and got the usual "duh" response. The Microsoft Store phone responses were no better. Who is in charge of marketing?????

leeshor

That sounds pretty typical at Best Buy but NOT at Microsoft. (but you only spoke with one person at MS);)

J515OP

Super Moderator
I suggest also contacting Staples and I believe Costco is slated to carry the Surface. You will probably have a better experience dealing with either of those than Best Buy for no other reason than that they don't have as many electronics to focus on and might actually be able to tell you about the ones they have for sale.

bosamar

My daughter's boyfriend works at our local BB. He told me last weekend that they have the Pro in stock but not on display. He works the camera section.

OP
camis1

camis1

The Manager of the Best Buy Riverdale NJ store was kind enough to call me back. He was not sure what was coming in, but "thinks" that some Pros will be in tomorrow (Friday). Hope that the expected snow storm does not stop me from picking it up.

TeknoBlast

I've given up on asking any employee from any electronic stores for help years ago. Good thing I'm in the I.T. field. I'm sure the employees only know what they know because it's an hourly job for them. Just a stepping stone job to their real job. Kind of like giving a crap about your burger job when your manager who's in for life is trying to get you all hyped up about the new featured burger.

OP
camis1

camis1

Followup from Carlos (Store Manager at Best Buy Riverdale NJ) - Expects to receive one (1), I repeat one....The other stores in the North Jersey area are receiving the same allotments. Microsoft, you've got to be kidding me!!! There go my weekend plans.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Followup from Carlos (Store Manager at Best Buy Riverdale NJ) - Expects to receive one (1), I repeat one....The other stores in the North Jersey area are receiving the same allotments. Microsoft, you've got to be kidding me!!! There go my weekend plans.

Your best option might be to order from the MS site and have it delivered to you.

OP
camis1

camis1

Like a little child who sees a toy he likes, I want it now. The Microsoft Store does not show it open for purchase now. I also made a committment to demonstrate our application on a tablet this coming Monday. Egg on my face. 30 years in this business and haven't learned my lesson. BTW, we are great working under pressure.

Kiwibru

I suspect the same situation will arise on the MS purchase site as happened with the RT. Long wait time after an initial flood of orders cleans out the stock. First adopters like myself will be second tier beta testers!

TeknoBlast

So I decided to stop by my local Best Buy to see if the Pro was on display. To my surprise, the Surface mobile display was moved by the other tablet on the front end cap. They have both the RT and Pro version. The thickness, weight, and heat was very noticeable. To my surprise again, the Best Buy guy was very informative and even had the pen for me to test out. Was very happy that BB had a better display.