What's new

Best Charging Method to Protect SP3 Battery Lifetime

Demonaire

Hi guys, I just got my SP3 for a few days, and I am not sure what's the best way to protect battery lifetime when I charge. At first I thought it can be charged like a laptop/desktop, but then I realised it uses Li-Ion battery, just like in smartphones. So I got confused...

(1) can I use SP3 while the charger is plugged in all the time? (even when it's already 100%) I don't seem to find any mechanism that stops battery from charging when it reaches 100%, like in most laptops (I don't see "plugged in, not charging", it's always charging)

(2) do I have to charge it above 80%, then use/drain it below 20%, then charge again in such cycles, like in smartphone/tablets? Coz this would really be a pain in the ***.

Thanks for helping in advance!

malberttoo

Hi guys, I just got my SP3 for a few days, and I am not sure what's the best way to protect battery lifetime when I charge. At first I thought it can be charged like a laptop/desktop, but then I realised it uses Li-Ion battery, just like in smartphones. So I got confused...

(1) can I use SP3 while the charger is plugged in all the time? (even when it's already 100%) I don't seem to find any mechanism that stops battery from charging when it reaches 100%, like in most laptops (I don't see "plugged in, not charging", it's always charging)

(2) do I have to charge it above 80%, then use/drain it below 20%, then charge again in such cycles, like in smartphone/tablets? Coz this would really be a pain in the ***.

Thanks for helping in advance!

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Honestly, just use the thing however you want and in whatever way fits naturally into your lifestyle.

Once a month, let it discharge to below 10%, and you'll be fine. :cool:

msolok

Hey,

The battery in the Surfaces are standard Lithium-Ion batteries which do not have a memory effect. There is no need for full or consistent charging cycles. You can use it for 10% and then charge, or 80% and then charge (but never fully discharge them, but usually the battery controller won't allow this anyway).
The process of doing a discharge as malberttoo describes is simply so that the battery meter / fuel gage correctly calibrates and displays the most accurate charge percentage.

Also, this is the same for all Smart Phones and Tablets out there. None of the batteries are impacted by a memory effect and can be charged (and unplugged) at any stage.

OP
D

Demonaire

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Honestly, just use the thing however you want and in whatever way fits naturally into your lifestyle.

Once a month, let it discharge to below 10%, and you'll be fine. :cool:
Hi thank you! That makes things much easier! Looks like I thought too much...

OP
D

Demonaire

Hey,

The battery in the Surfaces are standard Lithium-Ion batteries which do not have a memory effect. There is no need for full or consistent charging cycles. You can use it for 10% and then charge, or 80% and then charge (but never fully discharge them, but usually the battery controller won't allow this anyway).
The process of doing a discharge as malberttoo describes is simply so that the battery meter / fuel gage correctly calibrates and displays the most accurate charge percentage.

Also, this is the same for all Smart Phones and Tablets out there. None of the batteries are impacted by a memory effect and can be charged (and unplugged) at any stage.
Thank you for the explanation! That clears things us :D

Just one more thing though, is it bad for battery if I charge and use SP3 simultaneously?

msolok

Just one more thing though, is it bad for battery if I charge and use SP3 simultaneously?

Nope. In the case of using the device while the battery is charging (which is something 90% of people do anyway) all the is really happening is the device is charging the battery at a much slower rate. This doesn't have any sort of ill effect.

Liam2349

If you plan on keeping the device for several years, you're better off not keeping it at 100%. If you only charge to 90%, your battery will last longer in the long term, and longer if you only charged to 80%, or 50% even, but then you have no short term battery life.

You have to find your own compromise, but do yourself a favour and at least unplug it when it reaches 100%.

Personally I charge to 90%, and that's a compromise I'm happy with.

As for draining it, charge it to 100% and drain the battery until it turns off, which will be down to about 5%. This gives you a new reading of maximum battery capacity and recalibrates the battery, giving you more accurate readings of battery life. Do this once per month, as Microsoft recommends.

Tsurugaya

Just to make sure isn't there a limited amount of change cycles to a li-ion battery? Hence, it would be most economical to go through charge-deplete cyclist maximize battery life?

ctitanic

Just to make sure isn't there a limited amount of change cycles to a li-ion battery? Hence, it would be most economical to go through charge-deplete cyclist maximize battery life?
You are correct but I doubt that you will keep the unit up to that point in the life of the battery.