What's new

Best Charging Method to Protect SP3 Battery Lifetime

Tsurugaya

So if I understand you correctly, you are better off if you run down the battery to 30-25% and begin a new charge cycle rather than keeping it constantly charged? The reason being it wiIl give you fewer cycles over the same time period.

Liam2349

Charge it whenever you want. Charge it at 50%, 60%, 10%, just don't charge it to 100% if you plan on using this device long-term.

ctitanic

So if I understand you correctly, you are better off if you run down the battery to 30-25% and begin a new charge cycle rather than keeping it constantly charged? The reason being it wiIl give you fewer cycles over the same time period.
Just use it as you please. The battery will last more than the device statistically speaking.

ctitanic

During the week, I take it to work, all day battery, come home, plug it from 6 to 11 pm. Unplug it the rest of the night and leave it in connected standby and next day take it to work.

On weekend, I keep it connected most of time to get better performance.

OP
D

Demonaire

Wow I really love this community! Learned so much useful stuff. Thank you all! Guess this community is another one of the many perks of getting a SP3 :D

Jack Tong

Great info! thanks guys!
Will Lithium Ion battery get overcharged?
Since I purchase the dock and my SP3 spends many hours on the dock, it will get charged to 100% and a few hours more. What can I do to prevent overcharging?
thanks

RémiM

Interesting thread and good advices. Thanks guys. Battery protection is always a tricky thing, particularly when you cannot open your device to change the battery.

I wonder if there is a maximum life expectancy for the battery, like Apple with its guarantee of 1000 cycles (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1519). I asked the Microsoft guy yesterday on the chat, and he didn't know.

Anyone knows if the Complete care plan includes the battery replacement ?

Geek.Verve

I always wondered about charge cycles. Are they referring to full charge cycles (0-100%) or any charging process (say, plugging it in at 80%)? Also, would charging from 50% still equate to one full charge cycle or .5 cycles?

I believe someone posted a link recently to an in-depth look at litium ion batteries. I'll have to see if I can find it.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just use it as you please. The battery will last more than the device statistically speaking.

This. I did not buy this device, or any modern tablet etc, to spend my days worrying about its battery charge status and whether I needed to be unplugging it or such. I run it down, I leave it plugged in at 100 percent. I bought these devices to make my life easier, lazier, not to make it more complicated and stressful. I bought my nexus 10 on release day, almost 2 years ago, I do whatever the heck I want with the battery and it still functions exactly as it did when I first got it. If you never plan on replacing the device, then sure, worry, but in my opinion people are trying to make a long term issue a short term on and getting all worked up as a result.

Just try and enjoy the thing. Mine has numerous issues that a lot of forum members would froth about and be straight to the store for the return, I've taken the stance of just enjoy it, if and when it becomes unusable, then ill break out the warranty claims.

Liam2349

Interesting thread and good advices. Thanks guys. Battery protection is always a tricky thing, particularly when you cannot open your device to change the battery.

I wonder if there is a maximum life expectancy for the battery, like Apple with its guarantee of 1000 cycles (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1519). I asked the Microsoft guy yesterday on the chat, and he didn't know.

Anyone knows if the Complete care plan includes the battery replacement ?

I believe that the battery in Surface Pro 3 can use 5 cycles per week for 4.5 years before dropping to 80% of original capacity, which is almost 1200 cycles.

However, the Apple page doesn't seem to state what capacity their batteries should drop to after the 500 or 1000 cycles they quote.

The battery is also covered under the standard warranty.