What's new

Best Charging Method to Protect SP3 Battery Lifetime

mothermapper

I recently purchased an Acer Aspire V3-111P-P6VM laptop and actually read the manual (retired folks have time). I found the section about "conditioning the battery" interesting. This laptop will run as long as 7 hours. I was surprised by the battery life for such an inexpensive machine ($350). Has anyone "conditioned" their new battery in a device? I, like many have stated, just use the devices and rarely worry about the batteries.

Here is the section about the battery.

Battery Pack
The computer uses an embedded Lithium battery that gives you long use between charges.

Battery characteristics

The battery is recharged whenever you connect the computer to the AC adapter. Your computer supports charge-in-use, enabling you to recharge the battery while you continue to operate the computer. However, recharging with the computer turned off significantly reduces charge time. The battery will come in handy when you travel or during a power failure.

Charging the battery

Plug the AC adapter into the computer, and connect to a mains power outlet. You can continue to operate your computer on AC power while your battery is charging. However, charging the battery with the computer turned off significantly reduces charge time.

Conditioning a new battery pack

Before you use a battery pack for the first time, there is a conditioning process that you should follow:
1.Connect the AC adapter and fully charge the battery.
2.Turn on the computer and complete setting up the operating system.
3. Disconnect the AC adapter.
4.Operate the computer using battery power.
5.Reconnect the AC adapter and fully charge the battery again.

Follow these steps again until the battery has been charged and discharged three times.
Note:
You are advised to charge the battery before retiring for the day. Charging the battery overnight before traveling enables you to start the next day with a fully charged battery.
Use this conditioning process for all new batteries, or if a battery hasn't been used for a long time. The battery conditioning process ensures your battery accepts the maximum possible charge. Failure to follow this procedure will prevent you from obtaining the maximum battery charge, and will also shorten the effective lifespan of the battery.

In addition, the useful lifespan of the battery is adversely affected by the following usage patterns:
• Using the computer on constant AC power.
• Not discharging and recharging the battery to its extremes, as described above.
• Frequent use; the more you use the battery, the faster it will reach the end of its effective life. An embedded battery has a life span of more than 1,000 charge/discharge cycles.

nipponham

In addition, the useful lifespan of the battery is adversely affected by the following usage patterns:
"..."
• Frequent use; the more you use the battery, the faster it will reach the end of its effective life. An embedded battery has a life span of more than 1,000 charge/discharge cycles.
These two points seem to contradict each other. Using AC constantly is bad for battery life, (I’m assuming because of the stress that full-charges cause, as well as the heat generated). Frequent use of the battery is bad for the battery (because you are expending its limited cycles). How are we to reconcile these two conflicting points?

For what it’s worth, I usually charge to about 90% or so when I can and then use it off the AC. I don’t like the heat generated when it’s constantly plugged in. I use the machine normally and then plug it back in whenever it’s convenient. I don’t stress about accidentally charging it to 100% but I’m careful not to let the battery deplete beyond 30%, unless it’s that time of the month to fully discharge.

If using constant AC is not harmful to the battery I might use it this way since I would be saving charging cycles.

Liam2349

I recently purchased an Acer Aspire V3-111P-P6VM laptop and actually read the manual (retired folks have time). I found the section about "conditioning the battery" interesting. This laptop will run as long as 7 hours. I was surprised by the battery life for such an inexpensive machine ($350). Has anyone "conditioned" their new battery in a device? I, like many have stated, just use the devices and rarely worry about the batteries.

Here is the section about the battery.

Battery Pack
The computer uses an embedded Lithium battery that gives you long use between charges.

Battery characteristics

The battery is recharged whenever you connect the computer to the AC adapter. Your computer supports charge-in-use, enabling you to recharge the battery while you continue to operate the computer. However, recharging with the computer turned off significantly reduces charge time. The battery will come in handy when you travel or during a power failure.

Charging the battery

Plug the AC adapter into the computer, and connect to a mains power outlet. You can continue to operate your computer on AC power while your battery is charging. However, charging the battery with the computer turned off significantly reduces charge time.

Conditioning a new battery pack

Before you use a battery pack for the first time, there is a conditioning process that you should follow:
1.Connect the AC adapter and fully charge the battery.
2.Turn on the computer and complete setting up the operating system.
3. Disconnect the AC adapter.
4.Operate the computer using battery power.
5.Reconnect the AC adapter and fully charge the battery again.

Follow these steps again until the battery has been charged and discharged three times.
Note:
You are advised to charge the battery before retiring for the day. Charging the battery overnight before traveling enables you to start the next day with a fully charged battery.
Use this conditioning process for all new batteries, or if a battery hasn't been used for a long time. The battery conditioning process ensures your battery accepts the maximum possible charge. Failure to follow this procedure will prevent you from obtaining the maximum battery charge, and will also shorten the effective lifespan of the battery.

• Not discharging and recharging the battery to its extremes, as described above.

I haven't heard of this conditioning cycle before, but trying to push the charge to a new maximum a few times does make some sense to me.

As you charge the battery, the forces on the incoming charges increase with a tendency to stop them from entering the battery. It sounds like this concept is using brute force to get them in, but I don't see the importance of doing this immediately rather than after you've owned the device for several months.