What's new

Best cheap laptop/tablet?

CrippsCorner

My girlfriend's work place has finally recognised that iPad's are useless for real work :D and they've given her a (very small) budget to get some replacement tablets/laptops running Windows.

She only has about £150-175 to spend on each one. Any suggestions? I was thinking perhaps the HP Stream 11; looks pretty good, and comes with a SIM slot which is going to be greatly received. Any others?

Thanks.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
My girlfriend's work place has finally recognised that iPad's are useless for real work :D and they've given her a (very small) budget to get some replacement tablets/laptops running Windows.

She only has about £150-175 to spend on each one. Any suggestions? I was thinking perhaps the HP Stream 11; looks pretty good, and comes with a SIM slot which is going to be greatly received. Any others?

Thanks.
£150-175 to spend on each one. would that mean actually two devices? can she combine that for one device?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Stream might be a bit weak... If you go to Amazon and choose Laptop & Tablets department do you get this decision aid?

amazon laptop and tablet.PNG

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

There is a guide of sorts, but it's not quite the same.

Unfortunately she needs 3 devices for 3 people! £150-175 on each one :confused:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The usage would determine what she can do... it looks like HP Stream is limited to 32GB disk which might be a problem. Alternatives in that price range are few but I see a couple 14" or 15" laptops with larger HDDs and similar Celeron CPUs 4GB RAM HP,,Dell, Asus, Acer... that's about it.

leeshor

Check out the ASUS T-100 or T-200. There are several models of each and very close to your price point.

jrioux

The Toshiba Click 10 looks very promising, but it will probably be a little higher than her budget.

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

Thanks guys, although the T-100 is £300 over here! Rip off Britain :(

Basically she VPN's into her work network which is mainly just emails and work documents... nothing too taxing. I think the main thing she needs is portability as sometimes she has to make notes on the go when meeting new clients (she can use her personal computer at home to write things up in more detail)

Maybe she can steal the whole budget and get herself a Surface 3 :p

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

They sell in the US, on Amazon, for as little as US$189. It sounds like the UK dealers are a ripoff.

Always the way over here unfortunately! Was just reading about the HTC One A9... $399 in the US, £429.99 in the UK, which is equivalent to $665 :eek: and the UK version comes with 2Gb RAM & 16Gb storage, whereas the cheaper US version comes with 3Gb RAM & 32Gb storage.