What's new

Best docking station for SP3 (multiple display option)

drolem

Hmm, the U CPU cuts down on the spec quite a bit, but then something is not right, or the Surface team is quoting 30 fps resolution.

As per: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/26m9cu/we_are_panos_panay_and_the_surface_team_at/chscany
i7 and i5 will drive 1x4K, or 2x2K (while supporting the Surface Pro 2K display).
i3 will drive 1x4K, or 2xHD (while supporting the Surface Pro 2K display)

I only have one 30" display, so I can't try two 30" displays to see what exactly is supported.

JesseDiaz

SO let me get one thing straight...I currently have 2 external monitors daisy chained via the mini display port. It is my understanding that the GPU on the i5/256 only allows 3 monitors ( 2 external and one being the sp3)..I saw the video of someone connecting 4 monitors and the SP3 via USB 3.0. So I was going to get the UD-3900 and connect my other 2 monitors for a total of 4 external and the SP3. Can I do this configuration ( both the nini display port and the USB connected monitos Im confused because it says I can only connect 2 external monitors and then I see the video with some guy connecting 4 external monitors so I wanted the both of best worlds...BUt my IT guy at work says it doesn't matter the interface, Im limited to 2 external and one sp3...doesn't matter if its mini DP or USB 3.0..you can only connect up to 2 external...is he right?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
SO let me get one thing straight...I currently have 2 external monitors daisy chained via the mini display port. It is my understanding that the GPU on the i5/256 only allows 3 monitors ( 2 external and one being the sp3)..I saw the video of someone connecting 4 monitors and the SP3 via USB 3.0. So I was going to get the UD-3900 and connect my other 2 monitors for a total of 4 external and the SP3. Can I do this configuration ( both the nini display port and the USB connected monitos Im confused because it says I can only connect 2 external monitors and then I see the video with some guy connecting 4 external monitors so I wanted the both of best worlds...BUt my IT guy at work says it doesn't matter the interface, Im limited to 2 external and one sp3...doesn't matter if its mini DP or USB 3.0..you can only connect up to 2 external...is he right?

From the Pluggable site :
=====
DisplayLink’s Windows drivers make use of the main GPU for rendering, and require an Intel, nVidia, ATI/AMD primary graphics driver supporting WDDM to be installed.

USB graphics devices, like the UD-3900, are “virtual” devices where much of the heavy lifting is done by the CPU, by hooking into the graphics stack. The DirectX APIs used by games assume direct hardware access (a PCIe graphics card). DisplayLink’s drivers attempt to emulate as much of the functionality as possible, which is why some 3D functionality (like that needed for desktop and apps) works.
Leave your questions about this product here or contact us directly at[email protected].
http://plugable.com/products/ud-3900

Different USB graphics drivers types (DisplayLink, MCT/Tritton, SMSC, Fresco) are not compatible on the same system. In particular, some versions of MCT drivers will bluescreen when other USB graphics drivers are also present.
====

So if it uses the main GPU id say your limited to two external displays with this.

I seems like some other *compatible* USB device would be needed that includes its own GPU to drive the extra 2 displays.

Good luck.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
In the video from OP the guy describes monitors plugged into USB ports on the Docking station one plugged into a USB 2.0 port. I haven't seen a monitor that connected directly via USB so lets assume he's using additional DisplayLink USB adapters like http://plugable.com/products/uga-3000

Note: He never really moves or is actively changing all 4 screens simultaneously. i.e. didn't run a video on 4 screens at once. he didn't indicate what resolutions were in use or type of video he played.

here's an old write-up, still accurate, about DisplayLink technology... which pretty much everyone uses and those who don't are incompatible.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/usb-graphics-adapter,3006-5.html

With this setup the main CPU and GPU do all the work and DisplayLink compresses the output for sending over USB to be decompressed by the DL3x00 chipsets and sent to the monitors. They say you can get up to 6 displays with this technology but I don't see a chart that shows what resolution 6 displays or even 4 use at the same time only 2. I'd email [email protected] for details.

Color me skeptical especially if you use Gig-E connection with USB HDD also. seems to me like you'll hit a USB bandwidth limitation and or GPU limit while sustaining a heavy CPU load doing all that compression.

Samstables

I had a lovely set up, with a Plugable UD 160 dock (only USB2.0) running my Dell 27" but after a windows update yesterday, it's now claiming that the USB2.0 device can't run from a USB3.0 port! Have contacted Plugable about it but just annoyed at wasting time unplugging every cable and restarting numerous times before Windows Troubleshooter finally acknowledged there was a problem! Luckily I have an HDMI to DVI cable and a MiniDP to HDMI connector so I can keep working in the mean time... Didn't want to spend another £100 on a new dock just because Microsoft think they are doing helpful updates that stop backwards compatibility from USB3.0 ports.

Rant over!