What's new

Best drawing program?

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
LOL

Just trying it out now, it's pretty good, though It keeps crashing. :( Sometimes it'll just crash out of the app, but when I go back in it's still got the drawing I was doing there.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh, I forgot- there's also ArtRage Touch in Windows Store- I think it's paid, but doesn't cost too much. That said, desktop version of ArtRage is already great on Surface, because UI is very well tailored for using with touchscreen :)

I've tried it out and quite like the app but it is crashing out every now and then. I'm on the trial version but it's not clear what the differences are.. and I have millions of days on the trial!! Not sure whether there's a trial of the desktop version.

Just downloading the trial of Corel Painter too, though it's a LOT more expensive!

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmm Corel Painter is good but way to complicated for me so I don't think I'm going to buy it. Neither ArtRage nor Corel Painter recognise the eraser on the SP4 pen as an eraser which is a shame. Do you know any way to map these apps to the new Eraser?

nirurin

I'm shocked noone has mentioned Manga Studio (or Clip Studio, which is the same thing)... I got it myself when I got my SP4, and it's probably the best art tool I know of, with all the extras of photoshop mixed in with some really nice inking tools. It does have a little bit of a learning curve but I've gotten the hang of most of it by the end of my first proper picture.

I always used sketchbook pro on my android tablet though, so I would also recommend that. It's a bit simpler, but a nice art program. I'd probably choose either of these over photoshop.

Zkyevolved

When I start out painting on my SP4 with Fresh Paint I always feel like Bob Ross, but it ends up looking horrible trying to paint for me. Haha. I'm on the market to look for a new painting app, too. This thread is gold. Thanks guys!

vxm

I've tried it out and quite like the app but it is crashing out every now and then. I'm on the trial version but it's not clear what the differences are.. and I have millions of days on the trial!! Not sure whether there's a trial of the desktop version.

Just downloading the trial of Corel Painter too, though it's a LOT more expensive!

I don't know why it is crashing on your Surface, it's pretty stable on mine. I don't know how to deal with stability issues of Store Apps, that's why I like desktop variants more- you can tinker with settings and usually someone had same issue and got it figured out :)
Corel Painter is more of a professional software, highly customizable and yes, quite weird to use at first :) Photoshop license costs about the same, thankfully they made Creative Cloud subscription based, so it's quite affordable.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes I have photoshop CC as part of Creative Cloud (I am a photographer so use Lightroom also) but I don't like it for drawing. Not at my level. I think I'll stick with more basic apps as it suits my ability level. lol

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just downloaded the trial of clip studio. Wow, it's very nice!! Quite powerful, very nice interface with good touch controls and not nearly as confusing as Corel or Photoshop to use. I like it a lot. I'm definitely going to buy it as it's a reasonable price too compared to the Corel software.

Clip studio also recognises the eraser on the pen as an eraser too which is a bonus.