What's new

Best dual monitor docking station setup

ChrisPanzer

I have two monitors, one of which is the daisy-chainable type. works great.

if you don't have a daisy-chainable monitor, you could run the second from a USB displaylink-type setup. but it will chew up your CPU.

what is the aversion to using the DP on the dock and also on the sUrface? that was the whole point of this dock redesign, to give you access to both. I have a dock at home set up that way, and it works great.
Hi, can you please elaborate a bit on this 'daisy-chain' monitor setup? I am curious..

Right now I am running the traditional method, with using one dock mDP output and the Surface's one.

I really wish MS would have just made things simple and used a micro-HDMI port for more universal-compatibility (not to mention reduction in costs for specialized cables, as micro-HDMI is more readily-available...

zhenya

Many new monitors support the latest revision of Displayport that allows you to have one cable going from the device to the first monitor, and then cabling that first monitor to the next in the chain and so on. This allows for much more elegant cabling, but you must have new monitors for this to work.

The problems with HDMI have been widely discussed here already. HDMI is for consumers. Displayport is the far better solution and the one that businesses have settled on.

ChrisPanzer

Many new monitors support the latest revision of Displayport that allows you to have one cable going from the device to the first monitor, and then cabling that first monitor to the next in the chain and so on. This allows for much more elegant cabling, but you must have new monitors for this to work.

The problems with HDMI have been widely discussed here already. HDMI is for consumers. Displayport is the far better solution and the one that businesses have settled on.

How does one tell if monitors are able to be daisy chained?

Problems with HDMI? Look, I can only speak from experience, and I have had multiple devices with micro-HDMI, and they have all worked flawlessly, each and every time. I have no idea why the average end-user would prefer DisplayPort, but I am sure there are a slew of technical reasons why yet have no real-world relevance to your avg. user.

zhenya

How does one tell if monitors are able to be daisy chained?

Problems with HDMI? Look, I can only speak from experience, and I have had multiple devices with micro-HDMI, and they have all worked flawlessly, each and every time. I have no idea why the average end-user would prefer DisplayPort, but I am sure there are a slew of technical reasons why yet have no real-world relevance to your avg. user.

Look for monitors that support DisplayPort 1.2. They should have daisy-chain support but I would verify it would the specific model you narrow it down to.

For recent discussion on hdmi vs. displayport see this thread http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/thoughts-for-the-next-generation-dock.13541/

ChrisPanzer

Look for monitors that support DisplayPort 1.2. They should have daisy-chain support but I would verify it would the specific model you narrow it down to.

For recent discussion on hdmi vs. displayport see this thread http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/thoughts-for-the-next-generation-dock.13541/
lol I meant if you already have the monitors, how would you tell...

I ask bc I just purchased a 27" samsung and am curious if it's daisychain compatible.

Whats the technical term, btw? thanks for ur help.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
lol I meant if you already have the monitors, how would you tell...

I ask bc I just purchased a 27" samsung and am curious if it's daisychain compatible.

Whats the technical term, btw? thanks for ur help.
Number One - the Samsung Monitor needs a Display Port.....if yes go to Number Two...
Number Two - Bing the Monitor in question and look to see if it is Display Port 1.1 or 1.2 Compatible if 1.2 go to Number Three
Number Three - Verify in the Settings that it is Set to Display Port 1.2, if it is get another Monitor that has Display Port and Daisy Chain them...the Aristocrats :)

malberttoo

yeah, no, no display port here.

Also, very short story on HDMI vs DP- HDMI is privately owned, so any manufacturer wanting to use HDMI on their device, must pay licensing fees to HDMI. So definitely one reason why PC manufacturers especially are making DP the preferred choice, simply put it doesn't cost them anything extra to use it.

Also DP supports much higher resolutions than HDMI, and at higher refresh rates. So again on the PC, a much more usable system. As well, like was already mentioned, DP supports daisy-chaining.

In consumer electronics, you'll probably see HDMI continue to be the primary standard. But I believe you'll see the PC industry continue to adopt DP as the connection of choice.

ChrisPanzer

Also, very short story on HDMI vs DP- HDMI is privately owned, so any manufacturer wanting to use HDMI on their device, must pay licensing fees to HDMI. So definitely one reason why PC manufacturers especially are making DP the preferred choice, simply put it doesn't cost them anything extra to use it.

Also DP supports much higher resolutions than HDMI, and at higher refresh rates. So again on the PC, a much more usable system. As well, like was already mentioned, DP supports daisy-chaining.

In consumer electronics, you'll probably see HDMI continue to be the primary standard. But I believe you'll see the PC industry continue to adopt DP as the connection of choice.
That may all be well and good, but HDMI is quite simply more readily-available, which in itself brings countless advantages.

That's fine; already have invested in 4 DP adapters. I'm embracing my new SP3 and wholeheartedley trying to make the transition here.

zhenya

In most business class machines DP has been common for several years now, so I'd say in that market HDMI is the odd one out. I have dozens of DP cables and adapters I keep around; not more than a couple of HDMI cables because we nearly never need them.

zhenya

I'm curious, isn't the mDP cable on that hub too short to make it usable? Seems like it would be hanging off the slate. I can see it working from the docking station but not directly on the tablet.

Further update. I added this miniDP extension cable to the dock to get the hub off my desk so it could be hidden out of view. Not a good value but it seemed a better option than buying another hub that may or may not work as well and would still require me to buy a displayport to mDP cable.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005F4WSTW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mohcho

This whole discussion seems a LOT of work to get around a situation that can be handled simply with one device. I am using the Plugable UD-3900 with 2 x 24" Dell monitors and it works flawlessly. I plug in the USB cable and the power cable and I'm off and running. With a USB keyboard + mouse, I have a full desktop setup while the dock and the SP3 sit off to the side. It's much cheaper than trying the OEM dock + adapters + extra cables, etc. If I really wanted to, I could add a third monitor using the mini-displayport from the SP3, but keep it simple with only two monitors.