What's new

Best dual monitor docking station setup

zhenya

Yes, but then you are driving the monitors via USB which is a less than optimum experience. I have a dock like that from when I used my SP1 and while it 'worked' you get only average video performance and can't saturate the gigabit network port. Definitely cheaper than the MS dock + DP Hub, but the experience won't be quite the same.

Nuspieds

All sorts of adapters are available on the market today so even a VGA monitor can be connected to the Surface. There's no criticizing Microsoft here because DisplayPort was the right and best choice--especially for a port-limited device.

Prior to upgrading my Denon A/V Receiver, the best available connection for all devices were Component cables. When I upgraded my Denon, I chose a device that was primarily HDMI-based and then I upgraded all connected devices to those that use HDMI. The end result was less cabling/clutter. Did I have to ditch my "old" connected devices when I upgraded my Denon A/V Receiver? No, because the new Denon A/V Receiver also supported Component connections; however, I got the best value by upgrading my connected devices to HDMI-capable devices.

Similarly, you can keep and connect your "old" VGA monitors to your Surface, but if you want the best value and setup, then upgrade to DP 1.2-capable monitors and daisy-chain them. It's your choice; Microsoft doesn't force you one way or the other.

mohcho

Yes, but then you are driving the monitors via USB which is a less than optimum experience. I have a dock like that from when I used my SP1 and while it 'worked' you get only average video performance and can't saturate the gigabit network port. Definitely cheaper than the MS dock + DP Hub, but the experience won't be quite the same.

I've tried both setups, using the Plugable dock and have used the DP out for a single monitor and I have not noticed any difference in the quality of the video performance. Mind you, it's not like I use the SP3 for gaming or anything, but for my work purposes, either setups have been great. Just saying that there are other alternatives out there for achieving what the OP asked for without breaking the bank as well.

GTiceman

I use the Lenovo ThinkPad USB 3.0 dock to drive two monitors and it works adequately well. If I were buying new components I would use the Surface Dock and daisy chain, which is what I plan to do eventually. I just happened to have the USB dock in the office so it cost me $0 but I am pretty sure many of them cost upwards of $100 so it would be worth it IMO if you want the best buy daisy chain-able monitors, unless you are really attached to the ones you currently have and the SP3 official dock.

zhenya

The other calculation that goes into the MS dock is that it includes a power cable. This means I can leave a cable in my bag so I'm not constantly having to remember to pack it up. I can just close up the Surface and go. This provides a lot of value to me and I don't have to spend $80 on an extra charging cable. I sure do wish the included cable weren't a different connector though.

Jared

At work we have 2 SP3 with dual monitors both we are using a displayport hub and displayport to HDMI adapters. to connect the 2 of them. On my SP3 I have 3 monitors using the Displayport hub to connect 2 of them and a usb videocard for the third. We have never had a problem with the displayport hubs.

ptrkhh

Have you considered ultrawide monitors?
My 25" ultrawide pretty much replaced the 17" LCD + 17" CRT combo I had before.
Theres even a 34" ultrawide monitor that's roughly equivalent to two 27" monitors.
The benefit of ultrawide is you can use the whole canvas when you need it, instead of having the bezel blocking in the middle. More importantly though, it requires just one $5 DP cable instead of complicated daisy-chain, docking station, or adapters.

In case you have forgotten, even though it sounds like a sexually transmitted disease, CRT has nothing to do with it. It is just some type of monitor :D

zhenya

Yes, I was just realizing yesterday that some of these new 34" curved monitors would be a possible replacement for my two 24" models I have now. Need to wait until the price for a good one comes down quite a bit though!

GTiceman

I saw that new Dell 34 and really want it. I used to have a U3011 as my primary flanked by 3 24" displays and ti was glorious.

PsRumors

I picked up two Sewell Minideck USB to DVI adapters cheap, run them off a usb hub that also holds the BT keyboard and mouse dongle. A single usb cable to the SP3 and it works great. I've not had any video issues.

While I'd love to go to a single ultra wide monitor I already owned the multiple monitors and the minidecks I found on ebay for $60