What's new

Best mouse

bulls96

How are your surface mice working for you? Thinking it might be too small.

I am choosing between that and the Microsoft Arc mouse. Which do you recommend?
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

simmons777

I like my Arc, I've had it for almost three years, works on just about any surface, travels well, it folds out flat and I store it in the business card carrier in my bag, compact but big enough to use comfortably. The single usb port is problematic but I think I'm sticking with it, the wedge mouse looks to small and doesn't flatten for easy storage.
If they came up with a Bluetooth Arc, I'd be all over that.

souldier

It depends on if you want Bluetooth or USB Wireless. Typically I went with a Bluetooth mouse because I don't want to use up my only usb port. I tested 3 Bluetooth mice:

Microsoft Sculpt Touch Mouse - Superb/smooth tracking on par with USB wireless mouse. I just could not get used to the touch scrolling. In theory it should work great, but it just didn't scroll with the same amount of confidence/control as a normal scroll wheel mouse could.

Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Wireless Mouse 5000 - Great tracking but lacks in comfort for me. It just didn't feel right in the hand.

Logitech V470 - I ended up sticking with this one. Tracking is not as great as the Microsoft mice, but it was the comfort/good fit in the hand that sold me. I also love how the tilting scroll wheel can be used to go back/forward on web pages, file exploring, etc. What I don't like with this mouse is it takes 2 seconds to turn on/wake up, while the other 2 are almost instant.

I never bothered with the wedge mouse since there is almost no consideration at all for ergonomics/comfort which is important for me.

If you're going to go USB Wireless then there are tonnes and tonnes of options. I love the Logitech M305 which is really cheap, almost indestructible, comfortable, has smooth tracking, and has the same tilt scroll wheel.

oion

Keep in mind that people have different mouse grips, which is part of the subjectivity in "comfort." I personally use a grip between claw/fingertip for precise control and to prevent wrist stress, which means I find highly compact mobile mice perfect for even desktop use. Mice like the Wedge can only be used in the fingertip grip. (There are guides out there describing the mouse grip styles and advantages/disadvantages. It's also very possible to retrain oneself into a different mouse grip, FYI.) Personally, especially if significant mousing will be involved, I think it's more important to get the most comfortable mouse first and worry about price/connection type second...

souldier

Keep in mind that people have different mouse grips, which is part of the subjectivity in "comfort." I personally use a grip between claw/fingertip for precise control and to prevent wrist stress, which means I find highly compact mobile mice perfect for even desktop use. Mice like the Wedge can only be used in the fingertip grip. (There are guides out there describing the mouse grip styles and advantages/disadvantages. It's also very possible to retrain oneself into a different mouse grip, FYI.) Personally, especially if significant mousing will be involved, I think it's more important to get the most comfortable mouse first and worry about price/connection type second...

You have a good point and it is true it is subjective. I like my mice to fit nicely into the arc of my palm naturally rather than scrunch of my hand. Though it is true that one can change to a different grip, I do believe there is a natural grip/position that works best for the human hand, just as high heels probably aren't the most comfortable shoes for people even if a person could get used to them. In the case of having a surface pro, connection type is pretty important as some people won't want to have the hassle of always having to remove the usb dongle every time you need to use the usb port for something else. So I bought a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse so that the usb port is always free and ready to use.

STLPilot

whats most imporatnt to me is the bluetooth mouse works as soon as you touch it everytime. ergonimically over last 25 years ... i've used every known mouse on the planet and just want them to work well first ... feel good second.

oion

Though it is true that one can change to a different grip, I do believe there is a natural grip/position that works best for the human hand, just as high heels probably aren't the most comfortable shoes for people even if a person could get used to them.

That's not a fair comparison; palm grip actually gives me RSI symptoms in the wrist (I've had the same experience as this person). So my feeling is if someone has pain with palm grip, which is what exactly happened with a friend who has wrist tendonitis, they may actually have a more natural preference for a different grip but didn't know it. And another friend with big hands ended up liking the claw grip much better than the traditional palm grip, with which he had no problems before. Many of the reviews on mice simply aren't useful in this respect: Unless we know the person's hand size and grip preference, a review that only complains a mouse is too small or something is like a right-hander complaining about the ergonomics of a lefty mouse. That's why I note the dimensions of my favorite mice and go strictly on size. (Fortunately, the Surface's touchscreen is fine for most uses, but I use MS Office so much that a mouse is required.)

In the case of having a surface pro, connection type is pretty important as some people won't want to have the hassle of always having to remove the usb dongle every time you need to use the usb port for something else. So I bought a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse so that the usb port is always free and ready to use.

That makes sense, and the Surface RT has the same issue. I guess it just depends on how often someone does USB device switches. For me, not so much. It's too bad there isn't a Type cover with a bluetooth switch.

oion

whats most imporatnt to me is the bluetooth mouse works as soon as you touch it everytime. ergonimically over last 25 years ... i've used every known mouse on the planet and just want them to work well first ... feel good second.

Fair enough, your priorities are your own. :) I've never used a wireless mouse without some kind of lag, though...

OP
bulls96

bulls96

thanks for the reply guys.
for me, portability and comfort are the priorities. I don't mind having to use the usb port I don't get to se them much anyway.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

joudbren

MS Wedge mouse for me. Works great, single AA battery and ultra portable so doesn't add bulk or weight to my carry case. Cheers!

magicrobots

I've also got a wedge mouse (surface edition, wooOOO) and I love it. I wish it had a 3rd mouse button, but I'll get over it.