What's new

Best Music App - Not Xbox

kristalsoldier

Hello,

What is the general consensus on the best Music playing app for Win 8 (desktop) and the RT? I hate Xbox or whatever MS included as the music app by default in Win 8/ RT.

Thanks

Afy

The Nokia music app is a very viable alternative, as is Multimedia 8. I dont typically like streaming.. so pretty much anything works for me. Ideally I would have liked Winamp for RT but it doesnt exist.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

The Nokia music app is a very viable alternative, as is Multimedia 8. I dont typically like streaming.. so pretty much anything works for me. Ideally I would have liked Winamp for RT but it doesnt exist.

Nokia Music app (for the RT)? Is this in the Market or does it have to be sideloaded?

Russ

What is the general consensus on the best Music playing app for Win 8 (desktop) and the RT? I hate Xbox or whatever MS included as the music app by default in Win 8/ RT.

KristalSoldier --

"Best?," I dunno. I tried several different ones and settled on MultiMedia8 both on my RT & Pro. I just couldn't learn to love the default music app.

Take care,
Russ

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Hi Guys...

I have Multimedia 8, which works relatively well. But I am intrigued with the Nokia App since I intend to get a Nokia phone relatively soon. So, I downloaded that (for the RT) from the Store. Honestly, the default App (which is inexplicably linked to Xbox Music SUCKS!!!!)

Cheers!

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Nopes... I think Multimedia8 is the better of apps that I have found - both on the desktop and for the RT. The Nokia app is too basic and I am not willing to go to the Cloud for, of all things, my Music and Movies. Oh...and did I mention that I hate the default Music App on Win 8 and the RT. For video, I use VLC and/ or KMPlayer - both of which are excellent.

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
MediaMonkey is a nice app, especially for those owning larger music-libraries and it's support for UPNP/DLNA-Video (but no mkv). There are some bugs left (but regular updates) but i switched from M8 to MM (M8 is still on my tab, because it's more reliable.)

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Thanks. Yes, I've been trialing Media Monkey too. Its just that MM8 seems more comfortable to use and is quite user friendly (read simple to use!).

rubaxter

Nopes... I think Multimedia8 is the better of apps that I have found - both on the desktop and for the RT. The Nokia app is too basic and I am not willing to go to the Cloud for, of all things, my Music and Movies. Oh...and did I mention that I hate the default Music App on Win 8 and the RT. For video, I use VLC and/ or KMPlayer - both of which are excellent.

Is there a good tutorial for Playlists on an RT unit? I have all my media on the SD card, so as is usual for a pseudo-user-friendly Windows devide, things are cloaked behind a smokescreen and minefield compared to making an iPad playlist.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Is there a good tutorial for Playlists on an RT unit? I have all my media on the SD card, so as is usual for a pseudo-user-friendly Windows devide, things are cloaked behind a smokescreen and minefield compared to making an iPad playlist.

Well, first, I think you have to get the SD card read as a system drive in the RT. Why MS - in their infinite wisdom - did not enable in the first place, I don't know. There are a number of guides availa on the Web and here that show you how to do that. Playlists are, if I am not mistaken, a function of the app that you are using. For example, in MM8, after it reads all your songs etc., you can set up individual play lists - though, I have not yet tried it - I am still in the process of setting up my RT though I've had it for sometime how. Yesterday was the 3rd time that I reset the RT to the factory settings. Once all that is done and I have stabilized on precisely how I want the RT to behave and perform, I'll go about fixing things like playlists etc.

tonyz3

I use Xbox music to play my own tunes loaded on my sd, I did try MM8 based on the feedback here and def easier to access everything. I do have a quest....is it me or does the album art not fit in the snapped screen on MM8. is there a setting I am missing....no big deal I can live with this but just checking.

bosamar

I started an X-box music pass when I got my RT. I'm haven't been taking full advantage of it. One nice thing though is all my music directly streamed to my new Windows Phone once I put my MS account on it. I didn't have to manually load any of it.