What's new

Best program(s) for protection on Windows 10?

CC268

Hey guys,

What program(s) do you recommend for the best possible protection on Windows 10 (I know this is opinionated, but I would like some opinions with some fact behind it)?

I have used Bitdefender and Malwarebytes and Spybot before. Obviously I want the best protection without having to install too many programs and hogging resources.

I have heard a lot of people are using Windows Defender and Malwarebytes very successfully.

As of now I am just using Windows Defender.

Thanks!

leeshor

It seems you like asking questions that may be opinionated. ;) Re: your other post.

There have been several threads on anti virus protection. Moving this to the apps section since that's the discussion.

OP
C

CC268

Sorry, just like to be as knowledgeable as possible! Thanks - I have checked many of the threads on here too

Spider

Super Moderator
Staff member
Windows firewall & Avast antivirus free always on. Occasional scan with Malwarebytes.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
You pretty much answered your question in your post. Those will all work fine. There is no absolute best software, it's all personal preference. Avasst, Malwarebytes, whatever. They all do the job :)

Personally I just employ sensible browsing and defender. I run a scan with Malwarebytes etc once every couple of months to double check things but it's always green across the board.

leeshor

I personally wouldn't use Malwarebytes as the font line protection. It certainly is one of the absolutely best at cleaning up after the fact put poor at prevention. You may want to loom at the chart here

https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/

Note that though Windows Defender barely made the list it isn't the same protection as the Windows Defender in Windows 10. That's more like the full Microsoft Essentials and should rank better.

OP
C

CC268

Thanks guys - I just prefer not to install things on my PC unless absolutely needed.

I will definitely download Malewarebytes. I recall Bit Defender Free being the highest "ranked" free antivirus so I may go down that route if I decide to not use Defender.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks guys - I just prefer not to install things on my PC unless absolutely needed.

I will definitely download Malewarebytes. I recall Bit Defender Free being the highest "ranked" free antivirus so I may go down that route if I decide to not use Defender.
FYI BitDefender and Windows 10 were not getting along ... you might want to double check if they've worked out the kinks.

Compusmurf

New bitdefender works. However don't use any virtualization software. No emulators, no VMware. It misbehaves with that combo.

leeshor

If you look at 4 or 5 of the objective comparisons and you're looking for free, Avira is very underrated but is the one that consistently stays in the top 2 or 3 over time.

OP
C

CC268

Thanks guys...I guess I will keep looking around at comparisons, etc.

Is it worth it to buy Malwarebytes Pro? I am also looking at buying Revo Uninstaller Pro so this could get expensive haha