What's new

Best protective accessories?

xephia

Hi guys! I recently bought a Surface Pro 2017 and I love it! But I'm terrified of dropping it. I'm clumsy and have a history of dropping things, walking into things, and being walked into. This is partially due to an uncommon eye problem that glasses can't fix, so 'taking more care' isn't really an option. I want the maximum protection for my new device while I transport it from home to class or cafes (which usually involves multiple busses and a fair amount of walking).

I've looked at some of the cases available, but I'm concerned by the lack of ventilation? I've heard a lot of people's devices get pretty warm in most of the popular armoured style cases.

What are some good sleeves with a lot of padding?

What's the best screen protector for someone who uses the surface pen a lot?

What are some good secure bags for carrying the device without it knocking around or risking bending?

And do you think the brydge keyboard would make the pro more or less safe?

Thanks!

Ekhangel

I got the Maroo leather case from Microsoft Store, and am pleased with its quality. It doesn't offer "panzer" protection, so I'm not sure it would suit you if you're really good with damaging things, though it's fine for protection from light to moderate rain and showing off in public without hinting its contents.

OP
xephia

xephia

I'm reluctant to use cases because I've heard they trap some heat, but I did find a cheap, soft padded sleeve to use for now. Still looking for something more long-term though~

ScottyS

I don't think a screen protector is needed unless you use it a lot at the beach or a gritty construction site. After having a Surface Pro and then my first SP3 get their metal case scratched up even from just careful indoor use for my 2nd SP3 I put on a skin (from StickerBoy but there's also DecalGirl and others) so when I'm ready to pass it on I can peel the skin off and the case will look like new.
I carry it around in a Samsonite case with a shoulder strap but take it out to use it with no other protection. If you're concerned about dropping it or having it bumped around there are lots of reviews here such as this one for Urban Armor Gear.

jabbasoft

I've got a cheap carry case which just keeps the rain and grime off. It has a bad design flaw in that the power button can be frequently knocked or held on causing a wake-up or hard reset. I don't need "panzer" protection either but interested to know what you find and how it works out :).

ScottyS

I've got a cheap carry case which just keeps the rain and grime off. It has a bad design flaw in that the power button can be frequently knocked or held on causing a wake-up or hard reset. I don't need "panzer" protection either but interested to know what you find and how it works out :).
I'd love to find a bag like this, but with a shoulder strap.

wpcoe

+1

Twice I've reached into my computer bag to remove the SP and it was like an oven. The SP's fan was "roaring" at its highest, but the SP itself was almost too hot to touch. The SP would not display a screen image and the only option was to hold the power button for 10 seconds and let it cool down.

What makes my situation worse is that I put my SP in a zipped-up neoprene sheath before putting it in the case and the heat has no way to disperse.

I'm only assuming, but I think the power button must have been bumped, the SP booted to the log-in screen and held there getting hotter and hotter?

BubbaUK

I decided to go full on for a spacious bag with lots of padding. This one turned out to be ideal as you can use it as a carry bag, attach the strap for a shoulder bag, or even go ruck-sack style, but without the bulk of a large bag.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NBUSM60/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The SPro slips easily into an inner pocket, and you can put the power supply, pen and mouse in a separate pocket to avoid scratches. It's roomy enough not to worry about heat dissipation too. My only gripe is that the shoulder strap padding has worn quite quickly, but that's not a showstopper.

jabbasoft

+1

Twice I've reached into my computer bag to remove the SP and it was like an oven. The SP's fan was "roaring" at its highest, but the SP itself was almost too hot to touch. The SP would not display a screen image and the only option was to hold the power button for 10 seconds and let it cool down.

What makes my situation worse is that I put my SP in a zipped-up neoprene sheath before putting it in the case and the heat has no way to disperse.

I'm only assuming, but I think the power button must have been bumped, the SP booted to the log-in screen and held there getting hotter and hotter?

I commute 4 days a week, and I have power 'incidents' maybe twice a week and find I'm powering up a clean boot not a restore-from-hibernate or that the SP is already on (I have an i5, no fan and aggressive sleep/hibernate settings so no big heat issues) "looking for you" when I flip the keyboard. If only MS had included a rocker "ring/silent" type switch that could disable the power button when you're travelling.....

I see others have done some homebrew physical protection for the power button - but I just paid >£1200 for a properly sexy device and don't really want to put glue/material cutouts on my top edge.. SP3 turning on too easily in cover/case

Maybe I will look into writing a background task/service that could assess (configurable) the physical state of my SP when the button is pressed (ie "I've woken up, is the keyboard a) attached and b) closed" => hibernate. "I've turned on, is the keyboard closed" => turn off etc..). Wouldn't help a long press as that would just be doing/holding a hardware reset..

Last edited: