What's new

Best Settings For Ripping DVD's to Microsoft Surface RT tablet

PavtubeVideo

The Microsoft Surface RT's 10.6-inch 16:9 1,366x768-pixel screen is great for watching movies. Although the Surface RT doesn't support DVD drive, we can get the movies off our DVD dics and onto the Microsoft Surface tablet for playback by ripping DVD to Surface supported video formats. But what's the best format settings when converting DVD to the Microsoft Surface RT tablet? If this is something you're interested in doing, read the full guide below.

I used to rip Blu-ray and DVD movies to PC and WD TV Live players and learned video codecs and settings well. After several conversions and tests I worked out the best settings for converting DVD to Surface RT:

best-settings-for-ripping-dvd-to-microsoft-surface-rt.jpg

Video (Video Format- .mp4)
Video Codec- H.264
Resolution- 1280*720
Video Bitrate – 1500~2000kbps
Frame Rate – 24fps

Audio
Audio Codec- AAC
Sample Rate- 48khz
Audio Bitrate- 128kbps
Audio Channel- Stereo

I choose H.264 .mp4 as the best format for DVD to Surface RT conversion because it is the recommended video format for local playback on Surface tablet by Microsoft official site. Although the supported resolution of Surface RT goes up to 1080p, though video playback and most apps never break out of 720p. For watching videos on the Windows RT based tablet, 720p with 1500~2000kbps is just all right. I find that bitrate higher results in big file size, and lower visible quality loss.

Software recommended for converting DVD for Microsoft Surface:

Pavtube DVD Ripper ($35 original, now $24.5 only during its Christmas Giveaway Specials)

DVD Ripper varies. Most of you are likely familiar with the excellent Handbrake for ripping standard Def DVDs, but keep in mind that that program can't rip copy-protected DVDs without a third-party add-on, and it doesn't have Surface-specific profiles. I recommend Pavtube cause it's so simple to use and gives me exactly what i was looking for. I tried several softwares and I can tell you that NO ONE comes even close to the simpleness and great quality that Pavtubes softwares deliver. The audio/video synchronization is very good, the size of the subtitles too. And the time it takes to convert in this software is almost half that in other. Learn how to convert DVD to Surface RT tablet in this post: DVD to Microsoft Surface - Rip and Play DVD movies on Surface Windows RT and Windows 8 Pro Tablet.

dvd-ripper-microsoft-surface-rt.jpg

Some Useful Tips for encoding video files to Microsoft Surface RT:

1) Use a high resolution source file.
2) Always convert equal or less in resolution and bitrate, never up.
3) 1000 ~1500kbps looks excellent, 2000kbps looks amazing
4) Even lower resolution videos look fine when sampled at high bitrate.
5) The sweet spot: 720p @ 1500~2000 kbps, but avoid black-bars or you can't zoom.

Last edited:
OP
P

PavtubeVideo

Mother's Day Lowest Promotion - Best DVD to Surface Converter 30% OFF

Mother's day is coming soon, you may just want to Give Mom Something Useful. What's the gift you have selected for your mother? Still have no idea? If your mother is a super movie lover. Pavtube Software will be your good choice. Especially, during the Pavtube Mother's day Promotion you can get the movie tools you want with big discount - up to 30%.

Discount Details:

30% off including

Best DVD ripping tool to help you backup, rip, convert DVD movies and videos with quality lossless.
DVD Ripper
DVD Ripper for Mac

An all-in-one package tool includes a Blu-ray Converter, DVD Converter and Any Video Converter.
Video Converter Ultimate
iMedia Converter for Mac

Professional Blu-ray/DVD Ripping software to Rip or convert Blu-ray DVD movies files for personal uses.
Blu-ray Ripper
Blu-ray Ripper for Mac

Pavtube Mother's day Speical offer will end on May 22th, 2013. Don't miss it!!!

OP
P

PavtubeVideo

Breaking News!

To celebrate Father’s Day with you, Pavtube Studio launch a huge Coupon Code as the 2013 Father’s Day Special Gifts. Up to 30% off for your beloved dad! Backup/convert BD/DVD/Videos for home server, iPhone/iPad/Android/Windows 8 Tablets & Phones, various Video Editing Software(FCP, iMovie, FCE, Avid, Premiere, Sony Vegas, Windows Movie Maker, etc.)

30% off including

Professional Blu-ray/DVD Ripping software to Rip or convert Blu-ray DVD movies files for personal uses.
Blu-ray Ripper
Blu-ray Ripper for Mac

Best DVD ripping tool to help you backup, rip, convert DVD movies and videos with quality lossless.
DVD Ripper
DVD Ripper for Mac

An all-in-one package tool includes a Blu-ray Converter, DVD Converter and Any Video Converter.
Video Converter Ultimate
iMedia Converter for Mac