What's new

Best way to carry Surface Pen?

OP
N

netuser

because you have to take the pen off of the keyboard when you want to type. obviously it can't be there if the keyboard is lying flat, and even when propped up magnetically it doesn't work.

also because it increases the overall thickness of the device + pen. with the pen loop, the S3 lies flat either way.

that said, I do find this the most secure way of carrying the pen and have considered dumping my pen loops. not yet though...

Clipping the pen to the keyboard has not prevented me from typing.
I only remove the pen when I want to use it.
The only issue I could imagine is if you wanted to take the Surface somewhere without the keyboard and you wanted to still use the pen, you would need to have another place to put the pen.

colvill

I like the design of the pen and it very comfortable to use. I mostly keep it in my bag but I wish Microsoft included an tiny Galaxy Note style of pen that slotted into the computer as well for emergencies.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like the design of the pen and it very comfortable to use. I mostly keep it in my bag but I wish Microsoft included an tiny Galaxy Note style of pen that slotted into the computer as well for emergencies.

I'd personally prefer that they put the extra effort into something for the current pen. There is absolutely nothing worse than those awful stick styluses in my opinion.

Telstar1948

I placed the pen loop on the SP3 itself, left side just a tad above the hinge. It doesn't get in the way there and it avoids the "pen flopping" I experienced when I first used the loop on the type cover.

FrankMurphy

I second the suggestion to use two pen loops to avoid the flopping effect (you can buy them separately for $5.00 apiece). I prefer to attach mine at the bottom edge of the type cover, because I don't like the pen getting in the way when I flip the cover around and hold my Surface with both hands in landscape mode. The downside is that it makes the pen slightly more difficult to access.

IMG_20150601_091502.jpg IMG_20150601_091550.jpg IMG_20150601_091610.jpg

kwright

I put it in my pocket. I keep the SP3 in sleep mode while at work and turn on One Note with the pen button and write notes on the same page all the time. It is a long page but it serves as my too do list.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not ure if it's been mentioned (i know the position has, and people, including myself, worried about damaging the screen) but it seems that even MS looks to be shying away from the pen loop now. Just went to the site to look at a keyboard and even MS are now advertising the surface 3 with the pen attatched to the groove on the keyboard

pen.JPG

InspectHerGadget

A good way to scratch your screen. Yup, the pen is like a spare prick at a wedding. They really don't know what to do with it. I just clip mine to the flap on a leather case.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
A good way to scratch your screen. Yup, the pen is like a spare prick at a wedding. They really don't know what to do with it. I just clip mine to the flap on a leather case.

Point being that if i did scratch my screen using it like that, I would call MS and say excuse me, but i used the accessories as you suggested and it has damaged my device, please rectify this situation.

Personaly i sitll think that they should modify the pen clip (it is too tight and fluh to the pen as it is imo, and so stiff it has no play) and just create a silo purely for the pen clip.