What's new

Best way to connect to web via cell mobile

ozstar

Hi,

I have Surface Pro 3 256GB and at times I really need to connect to web sithout WiFi around.

What is the best and quickest way to do this please.

I am really sorry I oversepnt on the Pro 3 when this option is not available and now on Pro 4 it is. I just bought my Pro 3 3 months ago ! :-(

oz

leeshor

If you have a tether plan with your cell provider you could go that way. If you have a hard wire network available you could use a USB-Ethernet adapter.

OP
O

ozstar

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I can bluetooth thru my mobile and I also use the LAN cable at times but I was hoping for something which was quick whilst I was out, rather than having to get out my phone, pair it and then go thru the connect stuff.

How do others do it?

Thanks

leeshor

You should be able to establish a WiFi connection to the phone if you got BT to work. It should be more automatic/easier. You could also opt for a MyFi hotspot or even a USB cellular modem.

Unfortunately we aren't quite to the point that the Internet comes out of thin air everywhere.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you have a modern phone, then there should simply be a button in settings called hotspot. Turn it on and your phone becomes a witless router. Just connect to it as you would any wireless network.

Very much depends on what phone you have. I assume you'd rather not go and buy a seperate SIM card, but you could buy one of these pre pay ish sticks. Not the cheapest though!

OP
O

ozstar

Thanks for the replies.

I have a Galaxy S4 at the moment so I guess if I left it paired to the Surface, it would automatically get thru to the web.

This is I have an ipad 3 in which I do have a cell card.. 50GB for a year for $20 or so. Telstra in Australia. So when I am out it is easy.. mail comes down and I get out without trying. When wifi is around it goes there, when not goes to cell.

This is what I want for Surface but looks like no so easy. Surface 3 (non pro) evidently is okay and so I see is Surface Pro 4.

Hot spots around town are popping up more and more but there are more dead spots than hot.

I will look at some very small web dongles to see if I can use that. I don't want yet another piece of equipment to lug arand either. Something very small I guess is okay still, it is something else to lose.. :)

lhauser

Hi,

I have Surface Pro 3 256GB and at times I really need to connect to web sithout WiFi around.

What is the best and quickest way to do this please.

I am really sorry I oversepnt on the Pro 3 when this option is not available and now on Pro 4 it is. I just bought my Pro 3 3 months ago ! :-(

oz

I have a Virgin Mobile (US) Galaxy S3. On top of the regular $35/month for unlimited voice, text and data (2.5 GB at full 4G, anything more at 2G speeds), for an extra $5 I can get one gigabyte of mobile hotspot usage (there are other options with more data as well), which I'm experimenting with right now. The biggest pain point is that it seems to want the MAC address of each device you want to pair, unless you want to run an open hotspot. Not that big a deal, it just requires some pre-planning and is only required once. And, of course, it uses battery on the phone pretty quickly.

Cyb3rDud3

I used to do that years ago...Nowadays with mobile hotspots so easy on a phone I don't understand why anyone would want separate accounts unless the device belongs to a different legal entity. My iPhone 6+ Vodafone contract comes with 36GB and is the hotspot for everything else when I'm on the movie. No need to (re)pair all the time, just like any other wifi hotspot.

Johnny365

I use iPhone 6 Plus with Sprint and have unlimited data (no GB caps or monthly/yearly rates). Some months I use over 20GB of data tethering.

You have to root your phone (if Android), or jailbreak (if iOS). But it's easy enough.

Cyb3rDud3

I use iPhone 6 Plus with Sprint and have unlimited data (no GB caps or monthly/yearly rates). Some months I use over 20GB of data tethering.

You have to root your phone (if Android), or jailbreak (if iOS). But it's easy enough.
No you don't. No need to jailbreak at all. Tethering is a standard option for both android and iOS.