What's new

Best Way to Prepare for Selling SP1

gabe406

I have a SP1 that will be going to my wife. I will also be getting the SP2 as a replacement for myself. The questions I have is, assuming I backup all my data, what would be the best way to refresh the SP1? For example, I know that resetting to factory defaults would require the 8.1 update and time to complete it. What about uninstalling the apps I put on it and cleaning out the data then just have her login with her account? I know there is also an option to reset the system files without destroying the OS. I seek your advice on my next step.

Thanks

CrippsCorner

Do you really need to delete stuff? If I were giving mine to my girlfriend I'd just hand it over! But if you want personal documents etc. deleted you'll have to go for a factory restore really, as the other method will leave all that stuff on there anyway...

OP
gabe406

gabe406

Do you really need to delete stuff? If I were giving mine to my girlfriend I'd just hand it over! But if you want personal documents etc. deleted you'll have to go for a factory restore really, as the other method will leave all that stuff on there anyway...

LOL...Yeah, I guess I am a little OCD. I have lots of CCNA stuff and other apps that she will never use. I am thinking maybe go the easy route and clean it up as much as possible and, like you said, hand it over to her. Thanks for the feedback.

Rallicat

I have a SP1 that will be going to my wife. I will also be getting the SP2 as a replacement for myself. The questions I have is, assuming I backup all my data, what would be the best way to refresh the SP1? For example, I know that resetting to factory defaults would require the 8.1 update and time to complete it. What about uninstalling the apps I put on it and cleaning out the data then just have her login with her account? I know there is also an option to reset the system files without destroying the OS. I seek your advice on my next step.

Thanks

Hi there!

I guess you could just hand it over - your wife can add an account, and then when you delete yours I guess most of your personal data will get deleted. Not sure what happens to apps and other stuff. You can also use disk cleanup to get rid of the usual system-related stuff.

Alternatively do a factory reset - it doesn't actually take too long, and when I did it when I sold my old Surface RT (upgraded to Surface 2!) it asked me whether I wanted to a secure reset (in preparation for selling) or just a regular reset (faster because it doesn't secure erase your data).

Either way, if you won't be considering the tablet 'yours' anymore, you can go into the store settings on your new tablet and remove your old Surface.

--
Mark Lomas

oion

I'd just delete personal stuff and do a factory reset since it's just going to your wife anyway.

Don't forget to sort out the registration, though (like changing car title); if you registered the Pro with MS under your name, you'll have to log on and de-register so she can register under her name. Warranty repairs and support are done through the registered account. (Link in sig.)

TeknoBlast

I just did a refresh of my SP1 the other day and it only took about two hours at the most to refresh and install W8.1. Wasn't really time consuming at all. Usually I just walk away and do something else while the thing is in process.

OP
gabe406

gabe406

I'd just delete personal stuff and do a factory reset since it's just going to your wife anyway.

Don't forget to sort out the registration, though (like changing car title); if you registered the Pro with MS under your name, you'll have to log on and de-register so she can register under her name. Warranty repairs and support are done through the registered account. (Link in sig.)

Very good point about the registration, thanks a lot for that tip. So if I unregister the SP1 under my name she can then register it under her name with the same benefits of the warranty that I purchased? I will be going to buy my new (hopefully in stock) SP2 512GB on Monday. I would like to ask the staff there if she registers it will she need my original receipt? And maybe some more questions.

Thanks again for your input.

OP
gabe406

gabe406

I just did a refresh of my SP1 the other day and it only took about two hours at the most to refresh and install W8.1. Wasn't really time consuming at all. Usually I just walk away and do something else while the thing is in process.

Yes, I agree that doing it that way is the best. And there a LOT of things I could find to do just in the span of 2 hours...:)

Thanks for your advice.

OP
gabe406

gabe406

We just did a write-up on this very subject, maybe you'll find it helpful

What Should I Do Before I Sell My Surface Tablet? | LoveMySurfaceLoveMySurface

WOW! Not only was that article helpful it was very easy to read and understand. And as a bonus I just fell in love with your site. I am a network administrator here in CT and love all technologies just like you. I also appreciate the many things I learn from this forum as well as the many helpful people here that are always eager to help or share their wisdom. What a great community! Anyway, I will be bookmarking lovemysurface.net both at home and at work right next to surfaceforums.net. Thanks again.