What's new

Best Way to Read Kindle Books??

DLCPhoto

My wife currently uses an old 10" Galaxy Tablet, running an older version of Android. Battery life is getting poor, it's just not running well in general (despite a recent factory reset), etc. She's not happy with it, and we're planning on getting something newer/better.

The Galaxy Tab S3 is the current version in the 10" size that she wants, but even on sale is $450, which seems over-priced for the hardware and OS. I have a Microsoft Surface 3 (the older, 10" size, Windows 8.0, which I love), so thought about getting her a Windows device.

Lenovo is about to come out with a "Tablet 10" which is basically a 10" Microsoft Surface, smaller/lighter. CPU not quite as fast as a Surface Pro, but should be fine for general purposes. 4gb RAM, 128 eMMC, Windows 10 Pro, keyboard included. A SP4 would be more powerful, but the smaller size is more important.

But the questions I'm asking pertain to the Surface Pro 4, so thought I'd ask here.

She uses her tablet a lot to read Kindle Books, shop at Amazon, read Library books through Overdrive, Facebook, Instagram, general web browsing, etc.

As I've read reviews of Windows-based "Apps" for these various functions, they're not particularly encouraging. Often 40-50% 1 star reviews.

So I'm wondering if she would be happier with another (overpriced) Galaxy Tablet, rather than being unhappy with how a Windows 10 PC handles Kindle, Amazon, etc., in its Tablet mode.

Input appreciated, for those of you who use your Surface with this type of 'Android Tablet' functionality - what apps do you use, do they work as well as their Android equivalent?

Kindle is crucial - if this can't be handled well, that's a deal-killer right there.

Any other thoughts?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I am a very frequent Kindle reader. My favorite way to read is using a Kindle Voyager, however, I do use my Surface Book (and previously used my Surface Pro 4) to read Kindle using the app.

I usually detach the clipboard (screen), turn it backwards, and re-attach folded onto the keyboard. This configuration is a bit heavy, but books are easy on my eyes. Comic books and music sheet music books look great on the Surface.

OP
D

DLCPhoto

I am a very frequent Kindle reader. My favorite way to read is using a Kindle Voyager, however, I do use my Surface Book (and previously used my Surface Pro 4) to read Kindle using the app.

I usually detach the clipboard (screen), turn it backwards, and re-attach folded onto the keyboard. This configuration is a bit heavy, but books are easy on my eyes. Comic books and music sheet music books look great on the Surface.

Thanks for the reply.

My wife does have a separate Kindle that she uses primarily when outside, but indoors she prefers her Android tablet (bigger screen, plus access to texts and other functions).

I remember being dissatisfied with the Windows Store Kindle App on my Surface; it seemed glitchy, didn't work well when highlighting, etc. I used the Desktop App and it seemed more stable.

Which App were you using? The Store App gets extremely poor reviews.

My wife isn't particularly tech savvy, just wants to use the gear easily to do what she wants. I'm wondering if a Galaxy Tab S3, or even the cheaper S2, might be a better choice for her...

Thanks again for the reply.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
On the Surface, I use the desktop app, not the much poorer quality Store app.

The Galaxy Tab seems like a better fit rather than a Surface for someone needing Kindle, email and media.

chris_kez

I use the desktop Kindle app on my Surface 3. I also use the Kindle app on my wife's iPad Air; the latter is superior. Given the uses you've listed for your wife I would probably just buy an iPad. A brand new one is just $329, which is a fantastic value. If that is too much, you can browse Swappa and find an iPad Air 2 in the $250 range. This will run circles around that aging Galaxy tablet.

OP
D

DLCPhoto

I use the desktop Kindle app on my Surface 3. I also use the Kindle app on my wife's iPad Air; the latter is superior. Given the uses you've listed for your wife I would probably just buy an iPad. A brand new one is just $329, which is a fantastic value. If that is too much, you can browse Swappa and find an iPad Air 2 in the $250 range. This will run circles around that aging Galaxy tablet.

Thanks for the reply.

We've been an Android/Windows only family forever. Have never owned an Apple product ever, so I'm not sure I want to start now. Nothing against Apple, but I'm in a much better position to deal with any issues in the Android world.

But I am curious - what size and generation of iPad sells for $329? In general, it has been my impression that Apple is more expensive for more or less equivalent hardware/power. I can get a 9.7" Galaxy Tab S2 for $329, or the Galaxy Tab S3, on sale, for $450. So the $329 does sound interesting, but I'm not sure I want to start from scratch with Apple!

chris_kez

Thanks for the reply.

We've been an Android/Windows only family forever. Have never owned an Apple product ever, so I'm not sure I want to start now. Nothing against Apple, but I'm in a much better position to deal with any issues in the Android world.

But I am curious - what size and generation of iPad sells for $329? In general, it has been my impression that Apple is more expensive for more or less equivalent hardware/power. I can get a 9.7" Galaxy Tab S2 for $329, or the Galaxy Tab S3, on sale, for $450. So the $329 does sound interesting, but I'm not sure I want to start from scratch with Apple!

The latest 9.7" model, simply called iPad (as opposed to iPad Pro). If you live near an Apple store or a Best Buy go check it out. If you can handle Windows and Android then iOS is a piece of cake. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D

DLCPhoto

The latest 9.7" model, simply called iPad (as opposed to iPad Pro). If you live near an Apple store or a Best Buy go check it out. If you can handle Windows and Android then iOS is a piece of cake. [emoji6]

Interesting - BB actually has it for $299.99 at the moment, but this is the 32gb version, with no MicroSD slot (one of the things that I prefer about most Android devices). Will have to give this some thought and see if this would be adequate for her needs. An extra $100 to get 128gb, which seems ridiculously steep, given the cost of storage nowadays.

I'm sure I can figure out working in the Apple ecosystem; just not sure if it will be worth the bother, given similarly priced Android competition.

But I am surprised that it is this cheap.

chris_kez

Interesting - BB actually has it for $299.99 at the moment, but this is the 32gb version, with no MicroSD slot (one of the things that I prefer about most Android devices). Will have to give this some thought and see if this would be adequate for her needs. An extra $100 to get 128gb, which seems ridiculously steep, given the cost of storage nowadays.

I'm sure I can figure out working in the Apple ecosystem; just not sure if it will be worth the bother, given similarly priced Android competition.

But I am surprised that it is this cheap.

Yeah, if your wife relies on MicroSD storage or needs to download a lot of video for offline use then it can get expensive. We've been using a 32GB iPad Air for a few years but it's mostly used at home with WiFi. Another option would be to get a used version with 64GB for the same price. The iPad really is a cut above the Android and Windows tablet experiences if you don't need Win32 compatibility.

OP
D

DLCPhoto

Yeah, if your wife relies on MicroSD storage or needs to download a lot of video for offline use then it can get expensive. We've been using a 32GB iPad Air for a few years but it's mostly used at home with WiFi. Another option would be to get a used version with 64GB for the same price. The iPad really is a cut above the Android and Windows tablet experiences if you don't need Win32 compatibility.

She's using to GMail and Chrome for email, browsing, etc.; how well do those work on the iPad? I understand that Safari is the default browser for Apple, but I do like the sync function for email, passwords, bookmarks, etc., that the Google ecosystem provides. She also has a Windows 7 Laptop, so would like good integration in that regard. How well would this work with an iPad?

Thanks for the suggestions.

OP
D

DLCPhoto