What's new

Bestbuy releasing new security app

Angel

Was just at bestbuy and one of their reps told me they're releasing an app in the windows store for those who fear their devices may get stolen. Once you contact them the immediately lock your device and activate GPS/tracking it also takes a picture of whomever turns on the device with the front facing camera and emails it to them etc. you can see the details when the app is available. While I don't personally like bestbuy the two guys I spoke to today would be guys that I would buy from in the future but because they're nice I'm sure the wont be at bestbuy long...honestly they are the only reason I mentioned the app.

DOS

The concept sounds good, I wonder though, since it's Wi-Fi only, how do they bypass the initial login and then connect to a wireless network?

OP
A

Angel

Construct I agree...I hate the store but they are the closest carrying the pro and I wanted to look at some stuff before buying. They know me I touch but never buy there. That's where I do my hands on I guess...ill even pay more to get stuff elsewhere

Padron26

Ruffles just make sure you aint watching adult films ;)

yeah ive prey installed on my everything but my I devices. I just hope that I never have to use it, but if I do ill be somewhat ready.

machistmo

Prey Anti Theft: Track & find stolen Phones, Tablets and Laptops does the same thing. Works great. Problem is, it creeps me out to know that apps can highjack the camera and take pictures without activating the LED light.

There was already an instance of an owner of a Rent-a-center or Aarons chain out in the midwest somewhere doing this same thing with rented laptops. The managers of the stores were abusing the anti-theft and just tuning in to see what renters were doing. In some cases they were smoking bongs and others having sex or changing clothes. Very creepy indeed. That piece of software was installed on a seperate partition and was not detectable via typical anti-virus or spyware programs from within the Windows OS. IIRC. The owner of the chain, who had commisioned and installed the software at the suggestion of his son, ended up in a costly legal mess.

Rented Computers Caught Spying on Customers - Technorati Technology

FTC Cracks Down on PC Rental Firms That Spied on Users | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Your Rented Computer Can No Longer Legally Spy On You | Popular Science

Last edited:

machistmo

Ruffles just make sure you aint watching adult films ;)

yeah ive prey installed on my everything but my I devices. I just hope that I never have to use it, but if I do ill be somewhat ready.

No wonder you live in a Van down by the river, you spent all your cash with MS, HP and Apple. :) :eek:mg: