What's new

Better have GPS in the next SP4pro.

I couldn't figure why MS never included a GPS when they included a compass in the current surface. I mean, years ago it was laptops that needed external GPS and MS made Streets to plan a route when nobody had a smartphone. Now win10 has a downloadable cache for the map. I hope MS doesn't screw it up and not include a GPS. I mean seriously, how much can that add to the price?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think it's more an issue of how much does it take from the battery but if they include auto shutdown so its only active when absolutely needed it should be alright. .

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think it's more an issue of how much does it take from the battery but if they include auto shutdown so its only active when absolutely needed it should be alright. .

Plus just treat it like you do on any other phone or tablet. Have a toggle to turn it off and on for when you are going to need it. I never have GPS enabled during day to day use because some app or other is always deciding it wants to do a quick location check for no reason. I rather enjoy the idea of battery life :)

leeshor

Windows 10 has a ton of settings/options that use location services and that is typically a battery hog. That does not necessarily need GPS to operate either.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
The Windows 10 downloadable maps are brilliant, and only cost disk space.

Maps are critical to me as an earth scientist. Though I use GPS via a USB dongle occasionally, the downloadable maps (which include satellite images) usually suffice for my needs. Driving directions and point-of-interest searches are included.

OP
S

starstreak

Battery should be a none issue. If a cellphone can have it, drain shouldn't be a problem. You can leave it off most of the time and just activate it when on the go. Location services won't help you get from point a to b accurately without GPS.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Battery should be a none issue. If a cellphone can have it, drain shouldn't be a problem. You can leave it off most of the time and just activate it when on the go. Location services won't help you get from point a to b accurately without GPS.

Indeed. It can just be turned off. I never have gps on my phone enabled because it absolutely demolishes battery life.

As to accurately getting from a to B without GPS, I manage just fine. reading a map is not difficult ;) I've never understood people that have to rely on a computer to tell them which turn to take etc. If i'm going somewhere, I just have a map at hnd or I memorise any key names or features. Hasn't failed me yet :)

GPS makes more sense to something like the non-pro line. It wouldn't surprise me if it is just a minuscule proportion of pro users who actually have a use case that requires gps (such as sharpcolorados). I also have to question if you really need it. I'd be surprised if someone would be walking around with a surface pro and didn't have a phone in their pocket, which does maps on the go far more conveniently than an awkward tablet. Just my opinion.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Cortana brings new emphasis on GPS. Siri on iOS devices can respond to "Where is the nearest Starbucks?"** because 'she' knows where you are. Siri is not yet available on MacBooks, and this is part of the reason.

** By the way, there is likely a Starbucks within eyesight of you, anyway. (USA)

leeshor

Cortana brings new emphasis on GPS. Siri on iOS devices can respond to "Where is the nearest Starbucks?"** because 'she' knows where you are. Siri is not yet available on MacBooks, and this is part of the reason.

** By the way, there is likely a Starbucks within eyesight of you, anyway. (USA)
2 or more if you're in Seattle. ;)

Maciek

Yeah I used that Streets software during a flight many years ago; I used a Bluetooth GPS. Is this software dead now?

Can you suggest any USB GPS devices? Preferably small.

Also, as far as I'm concerned, the GPS in phones is an A-GPS, which in most cases means it'll need to be on the ground to get a fix. Once you're in the air and you didn't get the fix whilst on the ground, it'll be very difficult to get a fix, as per my experience anyway. A-GPS uses mobile network antennas triangulation.

Last edited:

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
... Can you suggest any USB GPS devices? Preferably small ...

I recommend the Bluetooth GPS QSTARZ 818XT (around US$75) with Windows 10. Works great with Google Maps, Google Earth, Basecamp, Microsoft Streets, and the built-in Windows 10 Maps app.

419+s+WAx2L.jpg

OP
S

starstreak

See, and here is the issue. If people have to carry something else around, most people won't use it. And if you have to buy it separately when other devices come with it, people will mock the missing feature. If you compare the Surface to a laptop, then having no GPS makes sense. Comparing it to a iPad, it makes a lot of sense for it to have it. If the Surface is supposed to unit both worlds, it should have the "core" hardware of both. Which I think is why so many people hated that MS didn't include the keyboard if the Surface was supposed to be a laptop replacement.
The size and cost of a Qualcomm chip with GPS would be a few dollars at most. And battery life shouldn't be that bad with it. The software running (the map program) would probably use way more power than the GPS chip. And as others have said, you can always turn off the feature.

Microsoft needs to learn that while many people LOVE them, so many more LOVE to pick on them. They are NOT Apple and shouldn't price the Surface so high like a Apple product. Look at how many 2:1 notebooks there are now, and many are under the $1k price point. Microsoft has the $$. While it may hurt many 3rd -party hardware makers, they should price the Surface cheap. Take a price loss. Have it praised for the price and features, and people will buy it. They (PCs) just need the one hardware that will "wow" people in buying. Many people didn't think they would need a iPad, but now look at the market. Microsoft should dominate the 2:1 market with the Surface. They could if they can make the hardware features of both the laptop/tablet, and keep the price down to a PC price point.

I recommend the Bluetooth GPS QSTARZ 818XT (around US$75) with Windows 10. Works great with Google Maps, Google Earth, Basecamp, Microsoft Streets, and the built-in Windows 10 Maps app.
View attachment 6533