What's new

Better Music App Than XBOX?

hoffdano

Wow the XBOX app is terrible for managing and playing music. I miss old Windows Media Player badly.

I do not download music. I just want to play my own music, mostly ripped CDs, some MP3s bought on Amazon. I already have the microSD card thing working. But re-indexing is annoying.

But most of all the XBOX app (using "My Music") is terrible. No sorting by genre. When sorted by artist it is a song view, not album view.

Is there a better music focused app out there? Free or paid....

bosamar

I use two on my RT; the Music app that came with it and Multimedia 8. Both read my MP3s on my microSD card.

ArnoldC

But most of all the XBOX app (using "My Music") is terrible. No sorting by genre. When sorted by artist it is a song view, not album view.

Wow, I can't believe you don't see the Genre.

Screenshot41.png

Song view only? Nah! There is Album view. I posted this previously.

Screenshot14.png

I hate to say this, but your complaint about it being "terrible" is unwarranted.

Last edited:
OP
H

hoffdano

I am not stupid. But on my Surface RT, "my music" shows just "a to z" where your picture shows genre. I see no place to change that.

pallentx

I had the same confusion with the XBox music app and posted about it here as well. The interface is far from intuitive. You have to select Albums first, then you can sort by genre, not the other way around.

I still have problems with random albums not showing up even though they are in my library and other problems, but I have slowly learned ways around the more annoying quirks.

OP
H

hoffdano

I had the same confusion with the XBox music app and posted about it here as well. The interface is far from intuitive. You have to select Albums first, then you can sort by genre, not the other way around.

I still have problems with random albums not showing up even though they are in my library and other problems, but I have slowly learned ways around the more annoying quirks.

OK - that is how it works. I did not know how it worked and it wasn't easy to see.

I still miss WMP on Windows 7.

ArnoldC

I am not stupid. But on my Surface RT, "my music" shows just "a to z" where your picture shows genre. I see no place to change that.

I didn't say you are stupid, but even with the screenshot I showed, you still claim "I see no place to change that."

J515OP

Super Moderator
Well it certainly isn't intuitive and isn't the first time it has come up. For whatever reason MS doesn't seem to have been able to expand its Zune experience beyond Zune. You would think these would be issues they have completely down by now given Zune was sort of the genesis of their redirection.

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
There's an update for the music app - change log stating performance improvements ect.

Edit: After a try i would say: Yes it's faster on the surface (and on my PC). It's still no lightning-fast solution for a big music-library, but thumbs up for this update.

Last edited: