What's new

Better Music App Than XBOX?

repinca

Is there a way to play all songs from a specific genre? I can't seem to figure this out. I'd like to shuffle all songs from a genre for some party background music.

sashlon

I use Multimedia 8 as well. I always liked having an app that's a 'catch all'. It keeps my music and videos in the same place, that's what I'm used to.

However, this thread has showed me more functionality in Xbox Music than I thought there was.

repinca

See Arnold's graphics on page 1 of this thread.

I've been able to sort by genre, but not play by genre. If I click "Play All Music", it starts at the top (not the genre I want) and if I click on a song, it only plays that song. I feel like I'm about to have an oh, duh moment, but I must be missing something.

Trovahead

It seems like in the last few weeks there have been a slew of new media player apps in the store. Any recommendations for these? They all seem pretty similar. Does anyone know if there is something out there that will play FLAC files? We need an Audiophile app!!

HB_xxx

I just made the jump to xbox music. cancelled spotify. not sure that was a good idea, but we'll give it a try. There are a few things I have found odd so far.

1. there is no "home" button to get back to the main screen for the app. You have to hit the back button many times or close and then restart

2. the "add to playlist," "add to now playing," and most of the options buttons seem to move. they are in a different location depending on what album i'm in.

3. There is no way to make the app smaller on my windows 8 desktop. it looks a bit large on a 24 inch non touch screen monitor

stlbud

I hate to say this, but your complaint about it being "terrible" is unwarranted.

I could not disagree more. As a Zune user, the Xbox Music app is an abomination. At one time iTunes for Windows was the worst media player. Now, Xbox has eclipsed iTunes. The user interface is barely half way done. Scrolling through hundreds of albums is clunky. Not being able to find my media is unacceptable. And instead of getting better it just keeps getting worse. Music Match has jammed my local storage with multiple duplicates of my tracks. It is so bad, I hope whoever is responsible for this mess is soon standing on a street corner with a tin cup!

HB_xxx

Ok, so I am starting to agree more with stlbud than ArnoldC. This thing needs a lot of work. I think "clunky" is a good word for it. I think it needs two versions, a desktop version and the metro style touch friendly version. I need something that looks like WMP, iTunes, Foobar 2k, in addition to the metro thing. I'm not sure I can keep using this much longer.

The other thing that is horrid is the Smart DJ. Not even close. Pandora, you have nothing to worry about! Spotify did make and WP8 app the other day. Please bring us a RT app!

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
Aw: Better Music App Than XBOX?

There's a mediamonkey app since a few days. It offers a nice and useful ui and is even able to play flac(!). Anyone who's fed up with Xbox music and doesn't use the music-pass (since mm can't handle the drm) may have a look.

ArnoldC

There's a mediamonkey app since a few days. It offers a nice and useful ui and is even able to play flac(!). Anyone who's fed up with Xbox music and doesn't use the music-pass (since mm can't handle the drm) may have a look.

Yup! Been testing it on my Acer S3 with all my FLAC and OGG-encoded audio files. Played two albums of Blue Man Group in FLAC and each played just as it should.

There's a guy who has been waiting for a FLAC player, he should be informed. :D