What's new

Beware how you open the box!

animan

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but my brand new i7 SPro 3 almost smashed to bits while I was opening the box. I somehow managed to grab hold of it as it was tumbling down my lap.

While sliding open the SPro3 box please make sure the side with the Surface Pro 3 lettering is facing up!
Thanks.

double07

Now a day, almost all manufactures packaged device this way. That is the reason I always unbox on carpet floor while sitting down on the floor. If stuff came off unexpectedly it would land on the carpet floor. The problem with SF3 is, it is big and has some weight. There is not enough friction to hold it down while unboxing. Yes, you need to be careful while unboxing the SF3. I think someone reported here that he/she dropped the brand new SF3 while unboxing and broke the screen.

kundas1

In fairness it is really, really obvious which side is 'UP'...

Yes I agree, when I unboxed mine I knew right away which side was up, I can't understand how SOME people have such a hard time observing this! All you have to do is observe the box! And if you're not sure maybe its better (or more fun) to unbox it in your bed... LOL

malberttoo

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but my brand new i7 SPro 3 almost smashed to bits while I was opening the box. I somehow managed to grab hold of it as it was tumbling down my lap.

While sliding open the SPro3 box please make sure the side with the Surface Pro 3 lettering is facing up!
Thanks.

Animan, welcome to the forum, and thanks for the warning.

Yes many members have reported the exact same experience. One guy's even went right out of the box, onto the floor, and cracked the screen, all before he had even powered it on. He bought it from Best Buy, and of course since it was now damaged they would not replace it. I believe Microsoft finally agreed to help the guy.

As many members have pointed out, the SP3 should be opened on a flat surface. I had no issues opening mine, but I don't think that I gave any thought beforehand to making sure the device wouldn't simply just fall out of the package. I would hope Microsoft would revisit the package design.

mtalinm

happened to me too!

Also, be sure to *keep* the box. I almost left mine at the MSFT store ("don't need no packaging") but of course it had the AAAA battery for the pen...

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
In fairness it is really, really obvious which side is 'UP'...

Indeed it is. But are you trying to suggest that its silly for people to assume that such an expensive device is not in any way secured to the packaging, not even by a paper flap etc. Seems they spent too much time hiding away the accessories to remember that some of these systems cost almost £2000 to thinknthat it might be wise to make sure it won't just break upon the owner opening the box?

And OP, this happened to another user. He bought it from best buy who were not interested in his explanation, however If inrecall, Microsoft were very understanding and replaced. If not the only option is to buy complete and make a claim at a total cost of 200 bucks, or 200 pounds.