What's new

Beware of Bestbuy doing exchanges through their website

raqball

Seriously, four defective SP3's in a row. Retailers have every right to eventually cut off customers. I'm not judging the OP but that doesn't mean I agree he's been wronged by Best Buy. Best Buy is here to make money for its shareholders.

Sorry but I have to giggle at this notion.

How exactly is Best Buy loosing money for its shareholders by a customer returning a faulty product? I'm pretty sure every large retailer in the US has an exchange / return policy.

Many retailers have a similar 2-week return policy that Best Buy has and several go above and beyond the 2-week. Sam's Club and Costco for instance have 90-day NO QUESTIONS ASKED returns..

I've returned items to Apple before (no ID asked for and no 3rd party tracking), I've retuned items to Sam's Club before (no ID asked for and no 3rd party tracking), , I've returned items to Walmart before, (no ID asked for and no 3rd party tracking), ect, ect, ect.. and these were pain and trouble free.

Best Buy goes out of their way to harass it's customers by requiring to show ID, then logging your information with a 3rd party to track you. I don't know of any other company that does this, and if I find out they do, then I'd avoid them just like I avoid Best Buy.

If Best Buy is worried about making $$$$ for the shareholders at the expense of treating customers with respect then they will fail and their won't be any shareholders left when the company goes out of business..

Best Buy had better be worried about keeping the customers they still have. I know a lot of people who don't go there any more. Customer service rules supreme in this day and age when with a click of a mouse you can beat Best Buy prices without even getting off the couch..

I typed way more than I wanted to in response to your post but it struck me as very, very odd..

Last edited:
OP
K

Kris

It depends what you call defective. Not everyone agrees a little light bleed or a very slight yellowish hue on the screen is classified as defective. Product forums seem to attract OSD types. I've been guilty myself about being OCD about a particular product. There's two sides of the story and we're only hearing half of it here.

When paying over $1400 the product should work as advertised. There isn't two sides to this, it is either as advertised or it isn't. No one should put up with any type of defect, minor or major... I didn't return my SP3 for minor defects either. I had a defective USB, part of my screen would stop working, 2 hour total battery life, and couldn't stay connect to 5GHz for longer than 5-10 minutes. I see these as some major defects but to tell the truth if I had too much light bleed or a yellow hue down one side of my screen I would have returned those too. You are suppose to get what you pay for...

tuchas

Seems like some folks are blaming the victim - it's not his fault he got 4 faulty units. Sheesh...

I don't think the victim should be blamed, however there is a side of this story that doesn't add up. On one hand you have the "victim" who went through FOUR defective units. I would call that a problem, to say the least. Regardless of what the issue is, Best Buy is the retailer, and they should accommodate the buyer.

On the other hand, did THAT really get him banned? Is there more to the story? If this is indeed the whole truth and the OP acted within reason, I would contact BB Customer Service at their HQs and raise holy hell. No one should be "banned" from their stores for anything unless they committed a crime in a BB store - or acted completely out of line. Not suggesting that the OP did so, but BB's actions seem so petty otherwise.

OP
K

Kris

I don't think the victim should be blamed, however there is a side of this story that doesn't add up. On one hand you have the "victim" who went through FOUR defective units. I would call that a problem, to say the least. Regardless of what the issue is, Best Buy is the retailer, and they should accommodate the buyer.

On the other hand, did THAT really get him banned? Is there more to the story? If this is indeed the whole truth and the OP acted within reason, I would contact BB Customer Service at their HQs and raise holy hell. No one should be "banned" from their stores for anything unless they committed a crime in a BB store - or acted completely out of line. Not suggesting that the OP did so, but BB's actions seem so petty otherwise.

I have been in contact with their corporate office, have a case filed, and was told to wait till Monday, to see if I they will give me my money back. After that call back either way and the coperate office will take measures from their. I don't know if they were trying to blow me off or not but he said, after talking to the manager that banned me, he didn't want to cause waves until after I got my money back. Monday I may be calling back and raising hell.

Kif

Any luck getting a full refund on your purchase? If you're not getting any traction you might want to take your case to the social media sites like Tweeter and Facebook. Companies hate getting bad publically on those sites.

mr.dj26

sure but not at the expense of it's customers! so what is it the fault of OP that BB sold 4 defective tablets to him, or are you insinuating that the OP is imagining or lying? LOL because 4 defective units (which is no fault of the OP BTW) the OP has to put up or keep a defective device because he is afraid of p!ss!ng off the share holders? WHO CARES! the OP shouldn't be stuck with a defective unit even if he returned/exchanged 10 of them! your logic makes no sense! bottom line is don't sale defective units and if you do then you have to exchange them... that's it that's all... or else drop the vendor because of too many faulty devices...

Best post in the thread :D

I dont live in the US, but how the hell can a manger ban a customer for returning a product???!!!! if it was me ill smash the sp on his head and make sure the sp doesn't work anymore!!!

OP
K

Kris

Any luck getting a full refund on your purchase? If you're not getting any traction you might want to take your case to the social media sites like Tweeter and Facebook. Companies hate getting bad publically on those sites.

So far no call back was going to give them until 1 pm pacific standard time, aka my time and call the store. Then call corporate, but now I will also post on their FB page. Thanks Kif.

Kif

Best post in the thread :D

I dont live in the US, but how the hell can a manger ban a customer for returning a product???!!!! if it was me ill smash the sp on his head and make sure the sp doesn't work anymore!!!

You've never had the pleasure to deal with Best Buy. I think the problem is that the OP converted his purchase into store credit to reorder the item at Best Buy's online store. So now they'll only give him store credit back. I've had retailers suggest doing the same thing and I politely say no thank you, I'll take the cash and buy it myself. Of course the OP should be made whole and get all of his money back but this isn't unexpected behavor from Best Buy.

Last edited:

mwilson

Just avoid paying with cash or debit next time. Always use a credit card for two main reasons:

1. Much better protection when dealing with problem purchases
2. Should you get defrauded, at the most you'd be liable for $50, though most credit cards these days sport zero liability. Using a debit card, the money is already gone from the account.

And as a bonus, pick a card with rewards, be it travel benefits or plain cashbacks.

Of course, this doesn't change the fact that BB has banned you, but at least you'd have a recourse getting your money back. When properly documented, credit card issuers almost always side with their cardholders.

raqball

You've never had the pleasure to deal with Best Buy. I think the problem is that the OP converted his purchase into store credit to reorder the item at Best Buy's online store. So now they'll only give him store credit back. I've had retailers suggest doing the same thing and I politely say no thank you, I'll take the cash and buy it myself. Of course the OP should be made whole and get all of his money back but this isn't unexpected behavor from Best Buy.

One of the many problems in dealing with Best Buy is that if the item is over a certain amount (a few hundred dollars) they will not refund you the cash. What they do is mail you a check which I assume takes at least a week, probably longer..

If the goal was to return, get the cold hard cash back and then buy another brand new in box, that's not going to happen at Best Buy. They will make you wait for a check in the mail..

If you pay with cash at Best Buy your options are limited. Wait a week or two for a check from their corporate office or take the amount in the form of a gift card..

It's another anti customer policy by Best Buy.. How the heck they remain in business is beyond me..

kundas1

OP if you link us to your BB post on ur FB maybe we can all jump on the bandwagon and get some recourse going for ya! that'll shake em up! LOL