What's new

Bitlocker enabled on SP4?

Guys,

Anyone of you having the Bitlocker encryption on your Surface Pro 4? I just noticed it was enabled and from my experience with BitLocker, when this thing is enabled the disk becomes dramatically slower...

Anyone?

Grumpy2

I do not have an Sp4 so can not speak about that device. But with my Sp3 Bitlocker was enabled out of the box. As I know nothing about bitlocker and as I am not interested in encrypting my Sp3 I turned it off as soon as I had finished setting it up.

TonyJackson

It could be very slow to initially encrypt an existing drive. I didn't feel any obvious speed difference for daily using.

AnisKhan

I'm not sure if I'm correct on this (could have been another reason) but I switch it off because Acronis True Image makes huge backups with it on.
Without Bitlocker, the image sizes are a lot smaller. I don't know if this has been addressed in the latest builds.

The other thing is, maintaining the machine is a lot more stressful with Bitlocker enabled. I remember a firmware update to the machine required that I had to put the keys back in. God that was hard because it was my sisters SP3 in a different city. It took ages to fix. I've left it off after that.

Votality

Sorry but that is nonsense also. If you backup in windows it decrypts it on the fly and backs up as per normal in an unencrypted state just like any other acronis backup. The only time it would be bigger is if you boot off a bootable media and backup up the whole disc sector by sector.

It is true however that you should never loose the bitlocker recovery keys.

Last edited:

AnisKhan

I should have said, I use bootable media but DON'T backup the whole disc sector by sector. Either way, the backup size goes up a lot when using Bitlocker and bootable media.
Maybe I should go back to installing it properly. I always find using the bootable usb media so much easier.

I should have said, I use bootable media but DON'T backup the whole disc sector by sector. Either way, the backup size goes up a lot when using Bitlocker and bootable media.
Maybe I should go back to installing it properly. I always find using the bootable usb media so much easier.

512GB SSD on my SP4 and 128GB microSDHC are both Bitlockered, have been since coming out of the gate. No noticeable performance hit on disk I/O, or any larger backups' sizes with Macrium Reflect.

AnisKhan

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    91 KB · Views: 1,022