What's new

Bitlocker - how do I remove it?

G-man

I have an Exclamation on my C: drive with the padlock unlocked. If I look at the Bitlocker manager, I only have the option to "Turn on Bitlocker"

When I look at disk management, the C: drive is encrypted. I do not want it encrypted. How can I remove the encryption?

OP
G-man

G-man

Well, the only way to decrypt the drive was to enable it, then disable it.

Now cannot figure out why Acronis True Image cannot see any hard drives when I use the boot media.

Oh the FIRST day of ownership :)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, the only way to decrypt the drive was to enable it, then disable it.

Now cannot figure out why Acronis True Image cannot see any hard drives when I use the boot media.

Oh the FIRST day of ownership :)
Because Acronis is horrible, use Macrium Reflect. Macrium Reflect works perfectly with secure boot and bitlocker without having to turn off or disable anything. Acronis jumped the shark years ago and seems forever lost.

OP
G-man

G-man

Not for me, Acronis TrueImage 2015/2016 has been working flawless. Saved my butt many times. Only issue is the Bitlocker thingy, which I have removed.

Using their corporate solution for servers, and am happy with that also.

leeshor

I once had 40 installations of various Acronis versions and from Workstation to Server. I now have only 2 workstations remaining. As soon as those get replaced they're going on Macrium.

Macrium is a far better and more flexible product, but, having used Acronis for years I had 2 really big problems with them. To get a newer version of the same program, (bug fixes), you had to log into your account and download/install it. Macrium checks every time you execute it and offers to download AND install with a changelog all automatically. They also don't keep messing with the interface from version to version. That's the part that ticked me off the most. In all the time I've used Macrium they came out with one major new version that changed some of the capabilities but the interface essentially remained the same. One more thing, Macrium has a free version for home use.

/soapbox