What's new

Black Screen and Won't Wake - KB Hot Fix posted

Compusmurf

Not a hotfix, its the Msi version of the firmware pkg with instructions. :( I was hoping for a real fix. This has actually been available for quite awhile.

coolowl

I checked the version numbers for the four items this hotfix address. I already have those files as each one has the correct version as stated in the hotfix message. Yet my Surface still has issues after sleep.

Maybe I'm expecting the wrong thing. I'm used to the ipad where I open the cover and the screen instantly appears. Is that what the Surface should do, or should I be doing one of these after opening the keyboard?
  1. press a certain key like the Escape key
  2. jiggle the touchpad
  3. press the power button for a second
  4. hold the power button in until the lights go out under the keys, then press the power button as if the Surface had been shut down the day before?
  5. or should I be doing something else?
Half the time I do one of the first three. And that's not bad. I don't mind doing any of those. If that's all it takes to get started again I'm a happy camper. It's when none of those things work that it gets irritating.

By the way, my Power settings are all set to sleep. Some suggest changing them to hibernate. Guess I'll try that.

The instructions depend on us having Firmware errors in Device Manager. I don't have any errors so this won't work for me. I've already tried re-applying the platform installer pack, but that doesn't help either. The only thing left to try is rolling back the Intel video driver.

OP
jnjroach

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I checked the version numbers for the four items this hotfix address. I already have those files as each one has the correct version as stated in the hotfix message. Yet my Surface still has issues after sleep.

Maybe I'm expecting the wrong thing. I'm used to the ipad where I open the cover and the screen instantly appears. Is that what the Surface should do, or should I be doing one of these after opening the keyboard?
  1. press a certain key like the Escape key
  2. jiggle the touchpad
  3. press the power button for a second
  4. hold the power button in until the lights go out under the keys, then press the power button as if the Surface had been shut down the day before?
  5. or should I be doing something else?
Half the time I do one of the first three. And that's not bad. I don't mind doing any of those. If that's all it takes to get started again I'm a happy camper. It's when none of those things work that it gets irritating.

By the way, my Power settings are all set to sleep. Some suggest changing them to hibernate. Guess I'll try that.
The Surface Pro devices will never act like the iPad, comparing an ARM Device that uses a mobile OS to full PC using a desktop OS that supports backward compatibility and LOB software. If the Firmware fix doesn't work, there is the DISM fix that you can try as well.

pharkas

Didn't help. :-(

I Installed this driver as well and it did improve one issue that I was having. Periodically (frequently) Edge had the tendency to freeze my system for no reason at all. It require me to go into sleep/hibernate and then return back to windows. With the new Beta driver, this issue has been resolved. This never happened with any other application, just Edge.

It did not fix the wake-up from sleep issues, though...

I Installed this driver as well and it did improve one issue that I was having. Periodically (frequently) Edge had the tendency to freeze my system for no reason at all. It require me to go into sleep/hibernate and then return back to windows. With the new Beta driver, this issue has been resolved. This never happened with any other application, just Edge.

It did not fix the wake-up from sleep issues, though...

I used to have that too. It would occur with facebook autoplay videos etc. But got fixed by the updates. Maybe you should try disabling autoplay or reinstalling the update (or a reset). Anyhow it is not normal to have these issues after the updates as I have non of them besides the occassional inability to wake when it goes to sleep with a fullscreen video..

Aldec

Open Device Manager, click on Display Adapter, Right click on HD Graphics and disable.
Restart computer.