What's new

Black Surface Pro 6 paint quality

shigetsu

Black SP 6 owners, how's your finish holding up? I've read several complaints about the paint chipping and peeling even with gentle use. Thanks.

Last edited:

Turbo4AWD

Nope, my chip came from a SCARY fall face down that made me think the screen was done for. Luckily, mid-fall, the tablet corner hit the speaker stand on its way down and prevented a perfectly flat landing on the screen. So it has a chip from the impact against the coarse, metal, speaker stand only. Normal use has not caused any paint to peel or chip after 10 months of very frequent use.

Glad I learned how to clean the Alcantara keyboard though. It was starting to get brown spots really badly!

Last edited:
OP
S

shigetsu

Nope, my chip came from a SCARY fall face down that made me think the screen was done for. Luckily, mid-fall, the tablet corner hit the speaker stand on its way down and prevented a perfectly flat landing on the screen. So it has a chip from the impact against the coarse, metal, speaker stand only. Normal use has not caused any paint to peel or chip after 10 months of very frequent use.

Glad I learned how to clean the Alcantara keyboard though. It was starting to get brown spots really badly!
Thanks, that's good to know! Sorry about the fall, I'm glad the screen survived. So how do you clean the keyboard? That thing seems to be specifically built to collect copious amounts of grease and dust.

Turbo4AWD

Thanks, that's good to know! Sorry about the fall, I'm glad the screen survived. So how do you clean the keyboard? That thing seems to be specifically built to collect copious amounts of grease and dust.

Well, what worked for me was mild soap and a microfiber cloth or paper towel. The key is to not use water. Just the mild soap. Like a foam soap. Then gently rub the alcantara and then dry with a paper towel or dry towel. It may take a couple of tries, but it eventually takes out stains really well. Lastly, using a circular motion helps as well. Just don't press down too hard.

OP
S

shigetsu

Thanks. "Let's make the most unpractical keyboard ever and sell it at outrageous price".

Sent from my BBF100-6 using Tapatalk

Plantje

I don't think it is really frustration. However, in stores, I do notice the keyboards don't look really fancy over time... If cleaning them is a good option, they should do that!

OP
S

shigetsu

Surface seems like a perfect hybrid laptop for me, but looking at its design, Im afraid the paint chipping, dirt on the keyboard and keys scratching the screen over time would be my biggest gripes. Surface is really comfortable, but looks like it's wasn't designed with a real life usage in mind.

Turbo4AWD

In my experience so far, the paint chip was due to a high fall and the dirt on the keyboard comes out easily, but that was my choice to go for the upgrade. The regular keyboard may not experience this issue. Especially the other color keyboards. My keyboard has yet to scratch the screen, but I use tablet mode more than anything else so this side effect is reduced in my usage.

I care for all of my tech and am way more cautious than most regardless of what device it is I own. I know others choose to be more wreckless with their equipment than others and that is there choice, but I choose to skip over a "bulletproof" design for more quality feel/look and more lightweight design.

OP
S

shigetsu

In my experience so far, the paint chip was due to a high fall and the dirt on the keyboard comes out easily, but that was my choice to go for the upgrade. The regular keyboard may not experience this issue. Especially the other color keyboards. My keyboard has yet to scratch the screen, but I use tablet mode more than anything else so this side effect is reduced in my usage.

I care for all of my tech and am way more cautious than most regardless of what device it is I own. I know others choose to be more wreckless with their equipment than others and that is there choice, but I choose to skip over a "bulletproof" design for more quality feel/look and more lightweight design.
It's relieving to hear that your paint is holding well. The cases of paint chipping reported on Reddit and several other places looked really bad -- maybe those were first production runs or the single bad batch. My device was manufactured in February 2019. I'm not really OCD about my devices, but those pictures made me worried. Pro 6 is a powerful work tool and it looks gorgeous in black, but looks like both device and it's keyboard were not designed with the most practical materials.

Sent from my BBF100-6 using Tapatalk