What's new

Blank Screen

SteelSteve

Having an issue where the device screen is blank, often after pressing the power button to boot the device, or when trying to wake it up after hibernation. It looks like the backlight comes on, but there is nothing on the screen. Normally when this happens I need to continue to press the power button on and off until the lock screen or login screen finally re-appears. I've seen a few threads on the internet talking about this issue, but have not been able to find a solution. Has anyone here heard of a fix for this?

Dewg

The only thing I can think of is to hold the power button down for 10-12 seconds. Then release and press once for 1 second - then a 2nd time for 1 second. That should fire it back up. If it continues to give you the black screen - you might try a restore to factory, or exchange the unit.

OP
SteelSteve

SteelSteve

Dewg, thanks I can usually get it working it just takes time. I have already done the reset hoping it would solve the issues, but no luck. Unfortunately this a new machine Microsoft sent me in exchange for my original unit which kept locking up with on screen artifacts. Not sure I can request another exchange so soon.

Dewg

Another option - take it into a Microsoft Store near you (hopefully you have one). See if they can help you there. You can exchange as often as you need until you get a machine that works correctly.

OP
SteelSteve

SteelSteve

No Microsoft store near me. Just Got off the phone with tech support. Looks like ill be getting another Surface. Unfortunately they have not yet processed my original return yet so I have to wait until that happens hopefully later this week. I certainly hope third times a charm as I'm getting a lot of grief from my wife and friends who are all iPad users.

oion

No Microsoft store near me. Just Got off the phone with tech support. Looks like ill be getting another Surface. Unfortunately they have not yet processed my original return yet so I have to wait until that happens hopefully later this week. I certainly hope third times a charm as I'm getting a lot of grief from my wife and friends who are all iPad users.

That's an awfully poor streak of luck, man. Hope it works out! I had no issues with both my RT and Surface 2, lucky me...

hotel

The only thing I can think of is to hold the power button down for 10-12 seconds. Then release and press once for 1 second - then a 2nd time for 1 second. That should fire it back up. If it continues to give you the black screen - you might try a restore to factory, or exchange the unit.

Well, two years later on a Surface 3, this worked immediately.

The whole black screen thing often happens to me if I close the surface's cover and take it from school to home. Still have absolutely no idea why it happens.

Also noteworthy, whenever the screen is like this, I can get the 'swipe down to power off' thing to show up, but nothing happens when I actually do it.

Oh well, just happy that I've found a solution for this.