What's new

Bluestacks for rt

vxrich

Hi

Im sorry if this has been asked before but does Bluestacks work on the Surface rt? I was told it does by the guy in the shop where I bought it that it does but whenever I try and install it I get a error message?
Any help would be great

Cheers

Rich

archapacman

No it does not, it is a desktop application for x64 and x84 processors only.

The guy lied or didn't know what you were saying.

He probably thought you mean Blue Dropbox or whatever.

OP
V

vxrich

Hi
Thanks for your reply. It was the salesman who told me about Bluestacks- because I questioned the amount of apps available compared to android etc (Ill be calling him later!) Ive actually bought 2 rt's for xmas presents for my kids. Ive not really done much with them except the basic start up settings. Do you think the rt is suitable for kids to do homework and play games on? I understand theres not that many apps at the moment but am guessing that there will be in the very near future?

Cheers

Bergman

I work for a Gold Microsoft partner company that provides technology solutions to school districts and can tell you that I have been doing tons of meetings with my Surface since it came out and every district I have talked to says this is an outstanding way to go as a student device.
My opinion is the same. Now that they have patched this a few times the responsiveness is very good and in my opinion equal to my iPad 3, which by the way is now collecting dust. Giving a student a real keyboard and mouse as well as Word and Excel in a small and light device gives them a "real" laptop replacement, as well as an entertainment device. Honestly the only real negatives I have right now are the mail client is not enterprise ready (meaning it needs some additional features) and the inability to sync Skydrive files to the device ( which is baffling to me). Otherwise they really got this device right.

textomatic

I set up a child's profile for my 3 year old and it works great. It even emails me weekly information on what apps and websites she's been using. And considering the Surface comes with Office I think it would be a great device for kids. My only gripe is I'm having a little difficulty typing on the Touch cover. It might be worth getting the Type cover if you think they will be doing a lot of typing. Touch cover works good but I don't recommend it for typing for long period of time.

Bergman

I have both covers and am switching back and forth to really test them. The touch is great for no feeling the keys when you flip it around, but I am making a lot of mistakes with it typing particularly missing the space bar. I am getting better at it he more I use it bit I love typing and the trackpad on the type keyboard.

wilbur4321

Hi
Thanks for your reply. It was the salesman who told me about Bluestacks- because I questioned the amount of apps available compared to android etc (Ill be calling him later!) Ive actually bought 2 rt's for xmas presents for my kids. Ive not really done much with them except the basic start up settings. Do you think the rt is suitable for kids to do homework and play games on? I understand theres not that many apps at the moment but am guessing that there will be in the very near future?

Cheers

Its probably better than any other tablet for schoolwork because of the presence of full-blown Word/Excel/PowerPoint -- not to mention OneNote. That said, however, if your school requires accessing sites that are using Flash and not on the whitelist or, worse, using Java, then you might need a non-RT Windows 8 tablet.

--randy

Sent from Boards for Windows on Windows 8

guitar1969

I have been following bluestacks and heard they may have an RT version in early 2013. The issue is going to be MS allowing it in the store.

magicrobots

Instead of running Bluestacks why not just watch for a cheap Andriod tablet (there are lots)

This!
I bought myself a Nexus 7 just for testing; it is great. and was under 2 hundred bucks ... can't go wrong! Tether it to my Lumia 920 and you have internet everywhere. Good times.