What's new

Bluetooth Headphones on the Surface

Alexander

I have been using Bose wireless headphones with the surface and have noticed two things: the headphones do not connect seamlessly and the battery is used up incredibly quick.

Also, I hear a sort of continuous beeping when the headphones are not in use. Does anyone have experience using wireless headphones with the surface?

benjitek

Should be OK, but could help rule that out. Microsoft used a combo WiFi/Bluetooth chip like they did in the SP2 (which I have). When I have both Bluetooth and WiFi on, my WiFi speed is reduced by half -- a known issue that was never fixed.

OP
A

Alexander

My wifi becomes abysmal with the bluetooth in action. In the beginning I thought I was experiencing the WIFI issues that I had read some were having.

I started using another pair of headphones, but since the SP3 is all about convenience and portability I would have imagined that this wouldn't be an issue.

kristalsoldier

Ohhh....I was just thinking of getting myself a BT headset for on the go and which I could also use with Viber/ Skype. But I can't afford to have it play havoc with the WIFI. Please do update if there is any further updates in your individual/ collective experience/s. Thanks.

benjitek

Ohhh....I was just thinking of getting myself a BT headset for on the go and which I could also use with Viber/ Skype. But I can't afford to have it play havoc with the WIFI...
You should be fine for Skype/Viber -- my download speed is 25 mbps with Bluetooth turned on, 50 when it's off. More than enough for video calls and VOIP. Where I've run into trouble is streaming HD video from my SP2 over my home WiFi network to my Samsung Smart TV -- if I turn off the SP2's Bluetooth it works very well, with it on I get a lot of stutter, or it just stops with a 'network error' on the TV screen.

benjitek

I would double check with that since even youtube clips have buffered when my bluetooth was on.
I've no need to double-check, I've speed tested and have accurate numbers to go by, you might want to test your own though for your own reference. In your original post you mentioned issues with your bluetooth audio performance, I didn't realize you had other issues as well.

OP
A

Alexander

It might be my connection is not as fast as yours; however, be cautions about saying "it'll be fine". I have issues with wIFl when my headphones are on. My speed tests fall drastically when the headphones are on.

kristalsoldier

You should be fine for Skype/Viber -- my download speed is 25 mbps with Bluetooth turned on, 50 when it's off. More than enough for video calls and VOIP. Where I've run into trouble is streaming HD video from my SP2 over my home WiFi network to my Samsung Smart TV -- if I turn off the SP2's Bluetooth it works very well, with it on I get a lot of stutter, or it just stops with a 'network error' on the TV screen.

Thanks very much. Any recommendations for a good light-weight BT headset with microphone capabilities? I would probably want to use it not only with the SP3, but also with my phone to listen to music etc. Thanks in advance.