What's new

Bluetooth intermittent at best - brand new SP3

r_europe

Hi - now a couple of days with my new SP3 after lengthy apprenticeship with both SP1 and SP2. Just love it - of course! However, Bluetooth connectivity has been sporadic - I have not been able to get the pen working properly yet. When connected to new phone, the connection drops again after a few seconds.

Am I missing something obvious?

OP
R

r_europe

Pen, Jambox and phone. Is it normal for the pen to have problems connecting if another device is connected at the same time?

bluegrass

I find Bluetooth on many different devices a little hit & miss. Sometimes when I'm persistent, I get two devices paired and finally settle into a mutual agreement with each other to behave themselves but Bluetooth definitely has not been as reliable as USB wireless for me. I wouldn't get my bowels in an uproar over it. Just keep trying to re-pair a few times and maybe they'll finally marry each other.

Grumpy2

As far as the pen is concerned although it is "paired" it only "connects" when you pick it up and place it near or on the screen. When not being used although it is paired it is not connected. Suggest that you take some time and read the user manual and the Faq's on the surface site. You may actually learn something. Perhaps how to use your device. Their is no substitute or excuse for not doing your research and reading the manual and Faq's etc.

OP
R

r_europe

Agree with all you say, Grumpy, but wouldn't have posted if I hadn't tried that already.

Thanks, Kris. Despite this (in fact, potentially serious) issue, I'm completely smitten with the device after over a year of grafting on SP1/SP2.

I would hate to have to send it back - but have short travel window and need to know in the next couple of days if I should try to exchange it or not...

Kris

Agree with all you say, Grumpy, but wouldn't have posted if I hadn't tried that already.

Thanks, Kris. Despite this (in fact, potentially serious) issue, I'm completely smitten with the device after over a year of grafting on SP1/SP2.

I would hate to have to send it back - but have short travel window and need to know in the next couple of days if I should try to exchange it or not...
Sorry if I came off being an ass, I am in the works to return my 6th SP3. I don't believe there is one made that isn't defective in one way or another. I have been accused of being too picky but I have to have a product that can keep Bluetooth and WiFi connected. I love the SP3 but need one that works.

riggi

I don't have problems with BT connections dropping. I use a K810 keyboard, Razor Orochi mouse and Halo Jabra 2 headset all the time.

The BT problem I do have is that sometimes when I boot from complete shutdown, the keyboard and mouse are not detected//working.
I have to login using the onscreen keyboard or typecover.
Even once logged in, if I leave it for a few minutes, the keyboard and mouse don't connect, even if I turn them off and on.
If I reboot, then the mouse and keyboard will work on the login screen and stay connected - no need to repair them, so it's something with the BT adaptor not always starting correctly.

This only happens sometimes.

The headset hasn't had any problems, but I always just turn it on at some stage after boot up. It always connects very fast and stays connected.

wertzius

The Pen is always disconnected in the settings. If you push the button, it connects forma secon and disconnects again. One benefit of bluetooth 4.0.

bluegrass

If you're able to take it to a Microsoft store, they can help verify if it's bad or whether you have a pen problem or a Surface problem.

OP
R

r_europe

Without much time before heading to the airport for a flight to places where SP3s don't exist, I managed to find and buy a new pen. And YES, it works..! Will have to contact Microsoft later about the other one, since this was clearly the problem.

Anyway - new SP3 finally in fully working order, I'm very happy to report.

Many thanks to all for your comments and suggestions...