What's new

Bluetooth killed the (wifi) radio star...

mitchellvii

It was like this with my SP1 and I was hoping by the SP3 MS would have solved it but it seems not.

Having Bluetooth active on this computer will cut your wifi speeds by HALF. That's right, HALF. With bluetooth off I get about 57 mbps down in my house. Bluetooth enabled I get maybe 28 mbps. Yeah, wow. For a tablet that relies upon bluetooth (with the pen and only one usb port) this is unacceptable.

Question is, is this a hardware limitation or something software can fix? If it is a hardware limitation, why does MS keep using the same POS wifi adapter in our otherwise awesome tablets? My hope for a fix is tempered by the fact MS has known about this for 3 iterations of this device and still nothing has changed.

WIFI BLUETOOTH OFF:
wifibluetoothoff.JPG

WIFI BLUETOOTH ON:
wifibluetoothon.JPG

HOW THIS MAKES ME FEEL:
crying.jpg

Last edited:

daniielrp

I have Bluetooth on and my WiFi is showing as 54Mpbs.

This is a tricky one as BT and WiFi (2.4) both use the 2.4GHz spectrum.

All it needs is some upgrades to your network hardware to make it work with 5Ghz, and then problem is sorted ;)

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

I am running both my wifi at bluetooth on 2.4. Perhaps that is the problem. Will switch wifi over to 5 and see if it improves.

clrk9000

my setup, SP3 256mb, Sony Bluetooth Speaker, Apple Bluetooth Mouse and Dlink EA4500 Router. Internet provider Teksavvy.

With Bluetooth Speaker, Mouse and Keyboard connected, and streaming music Mp3s, it does not have any effect whether to download speed or the local network. Not single jittery whether sound, mouse or keyboard. Before the several updates, it is really bad. At present, with all the download updates and firmwares, all good.

at 2.4G band, connected at 54mbps, internet speed 16ms, 13.38 mbps 1.58mbps

at 5G band, connected at 300mbps, internet speed 14ms, 13.44mpbs, 1.7mbps

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

T
my setup, SP3 256mb, Sony Bluetooth Speaker, Apple Bluetooth Mouse and Dlink EA4500 Router. Internet provider Teksavvy.

With Bluetooth Speaker, Mouse and Keyboard connected, and streaming music Mp3s, it does not have any effect whether to download speed or the local network. Not single jittery whether sound, mouse or keyboard. Before the several updates, it is really bad. At present, with all the download updates and firmwares, all good.

at 2.4G band, connected at 54mbps, internet speed 16ms, 13.38 mbps 1.58mbps

at 5G band, connected at 300mbps, internet speed 14ms, 13.44mpbs, 1.7mbps

That is so weird because with both my SP1 and SP3, wifi speed has been reduced by roughly half with Bluetooth enabled.

WIFI BLUETOOTH OFF:
wifibluetoothoff.JPG

WIFI BLUETOOTH ON:
wifibluetoothon.JPG

clrk9000

Just a quick flow on my experience with this SP3.

Wifi Limited -- eventually solved with updates.
Bluetooth Sound Jitters with Keyboard and Mouse usage -- eventually solved with updates.

BUT a new problem emerges now. My WIFI will disappear after a long sleep and I need to restart or rescan hardware to bring WIFI back.

And Yes, I have seen the dreaded thermometer while I was doing the latest optional updates.

Yes, SP3 has been a love hate situation.

Liam2349

It could be that your download speed is much faster than mine, and bluetooth caps it higher than my speed anyway. I have 1.4MB/s DL = 11.4Mb/s.