What's new

Bluetooth mouse will MURDER your WIFI speed!

TagsxA

Yep, this is still happening to me, with my LG HBS-730. Ever since 8.1, whenever I am watching videos on any youtube app, the video slows to a crawl. It doesn't stop and spool up, it actually slows down so that it plays 1-3 frames per second without any sound or anything like that. Sooooo strange!!!

TagsxA

Ha... A few minutes after posting my previous post, I tried something that has completely fixed my bluetooth issues! All I did was go into device manager and uninstall every bluetooth driver underneath the main bluetooth container. Once bluetooth completely disappeared from the list of devices in device manager, I just went up to Action>Scan for hardware changes and BAM! The drivers were reinstalled and all my bluetooth issues went away. Hopefully this works for all of you as well!

CrippsCorner

Have you tried running Speedtest as well when things aren't running? Whilst I posted above that my speeds haven't changed... I've also found YouTube a bit slow recently.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Ha... A few minutes after posting my previous post, I tried something that has completely fixed my bluetooth issues! All I did was go into device manager and uninstall every bluetooth driver underneath the main bluetooth container. Once bluetooth completely disappeared from the list of devices in device manager, I just went up to Action>Scan for hardware changes and BAM! The drivers were reinstalled and all my bluetooth issues went away. Hopefully this works for all of you as well!

Tried this. No difference. If anything it is even slower now. Completely bizarre.

**Update - uninstalled the bluetooth drivers under Network Adapters and re-installed and that increased my speed to 30 mbps. Huh. Still not great but tolerable.

Noticed something even more strange. If I hold my mouse right next to my SP the speed goes up. If I hold it a foot away the speed goes down. Odd.

I think MS is doing this on purpose to make me pay $70 for their damned Surface mouse :)

Last edited:

Wayne Orwig

Noticed something even more strange. If I hold my mouse right next to my SP the speed goes up. If I hold it a foot away the speed goes down. Odd.

Normal.

When the strength of the BT signal drops, the transmit power goes up to keep the connection. That means it is more likely to interfere with other radios.

terente0081

Bluetooth chip is on the same chip with the Wi-Fi and both are plugged into Intel's USB 3.0 controller. If anyone knows how to update the Intel drivers on a Surface, that's a step I too am willing to take. I'm downloading the drivers for 7 Series / C216 boards but the installer sais it can't run on my configuration.
The USB 3.0 controller I am talking about is the Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 0100 (Microsoft). Intel doesn't make drivers for USB 3.0, they rely on Microsoft for that but they do update the chipset drivers often.
The very same controller gave me headached on my laptop, an Asus N550JV with an external USB 3.0 HDD rack. I was getting weird behaviour, slow speed, random HDD disconnects especially when requiring more bandwidth (copyig files, moving, etc). That's the same problem some of us are seeing with our WiFi. Slow speed & random disconnects.
On the laptop the problem was solved by updating the Intel chipset drivers and I am willing to bet some of our BT & WiFi problems are also related to that since our precious Marvell chip is plugged in the very same USB controller running off the Intel chipset. Better chipset drivers = better USB 3.0 = better WiFi & BT speed.

bluegrass

I can't believe the speeds you quoted. When I connect my SP2 directly to a very high speed LAN where I work, I get about 14 Mbps tops. When I use WiFi with my SP2, I get a download speed of 2.47 Mbps. I rarely use my Type 2 keyboard or my Wedge mouse with Bluetooth connections. I will try that tomorrow and see if it slows down my WiFi speed. I know it would be time for me to celebrate if tonight when I get home & test my fast DSL connection gives me over 5 Mbps download speed.

CrippsCorner

My Wi-Fi's gradually been getting worse over time. I've gone from an average of 8Mb/s to 6Mb/s and now 2.5Mb/s. However it failed completely this week so I phoned up my provider's help desk and they tested my line... and found a fault!

I've been quoted 2-4 days for a full repair so we shall see if it increases again. Here's hoping...

Just to add, I get an average between 15-20Mb/s whilst tethering from my iPhone (on 4G) however I've currently run out of data for the month! Bugger, bad timing there.

CrippsCorner

My Wi-Fi's gradually been getting worse over time. I've gone from an average of 8Mb/s to 6Mb/s and now 2.5Mb/s. However it failed completely this week so I phoned up my provider's help desk and they tested my line... and found a fault!

I've been quoted 2-4 days for a full repair so we shall see if it increases again. Here's hoping...

Just to add, I get an average between 15-20Mb/s whilst tethering from my iPhone (on 4G) however I've currently run out of data for the month! Bugger, bad timing there.

Quoting myself, the first sign of madness...

Anyway just to update my broadband was fixed within 24 hours which I was pleased with and I'm back up to speeds of above 5Mb/s which is good enough for me. Might boost the signal to my PS3 though as doing a Speedtest.net where it's located saw it drop to below 1Mb/s...

girarcat

Hi! I've got some questions for those who are experiencing the problem with the Wifi speed. Does it have anything to do with the strength of the wifi signal or is it only related to the fact of having your Bluetooth on/off? In other words, if you move away from your router the download speed is slow and if you're in front of the router the speed is normal?
I’m asking that because last year I bought an Acer Iconia W700, and it had (and would still have if I hadn’t shipped it back) similar wifi problems. In that case, when you were nearby the router, download speed was as good as any other device, but when you moved away, the speed dropped dramatically. Some people claimed they had solved the issue with new drivers, but I think they just didn’t use their tablet away from the router, because many other people and me updated the drivers as well, and had no results.

Bye!

CrippsCorner

I posted this video up yesterday showing how Wi-Fi deteriates as soon as bluetooth is enabled...

[video=youtube;0TpLQtcdlsQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TpLQtcdlsQ[/video]

However, this is only because I already had the audio transmitting, therefore two devices were active. If just one is, it works without issue. At the moment I've plugged my audio back in manually and am using the bluetooth mouse until I figure out how to get round this annoying problem...