What's new

Bluetooth network/IP profile supported by SP3/Win 8.1?

mmo

What BT profiles does the SP3 support? I would particular be interested in the networking profile which would allow tethering with the mobile via BT. This would be much more battery-friendly than tethering via WiFi!
That was already possible with Win XP about 10 years ago, but since it isn't very "sexy", that's probably another feature that Win 8.1 has "forgotten" ...

bluegrass

I haven't ever tried to connect to my phone via Bluetooth, have you? As for as using your phone for an Internet connection, I would think you would have to do that via WiFi. Guess it wouldn't hurt to try though.

I just tried my Nokia Windows 8.1 phone. I was able to pair and connect to my Surface but it won't stay connected. It keeps dropping. I saw a setting on the phone to allow sharing the Internet over Bluetooth but I don't have a sharing plan with my phone so even if I could share my Internet, Bluetooth wouldn't stay connected. Perhaps it was because I was already connected to my MS Band. I also wouldn't know where to go on my Surface unless the phone would show up in my WiFi connections just as normal WiFi connections do.

Last edited:
OP
M

mmo

I haven't ever tried to connect to my phone via Bluetooth, have you?...
Of course I did - that was the background of my question. I enabled the tethering via BT on my phone (it supports tethering over WiFi, BT and USB) and told it to connect via BT to the SP3, but while the SP3's BT panel showed connected" the phone did not show up as network interface or anything similar and hence no Internet connection showed up anyhere...

M.

nipponham

You can find supported bluetooth profiles in btf.inf. You'll need the DUN profile for bluetooth tethering but it doesn't look like it's included.

OP
M

mmo

I use BT PAN. works well
How can I choose the BT PAN profile on Win 8.1?
Or would I have to select that on the phone? My phone only offers "Tether via BT" and I have no idea what profile that uses behind the scene or how to control that.

nipponham

You can't "choose" BT profiles; the device either supports it or not. There's an option from the Bluetooth icon to join PAN but I wasn't aware that you could connect WiFi through it...

OP
M

mmo

Bluetooth is 10x slower than wifi which is likely why its dropped er deprecated.
I know, but the 2 MB/sec. or so that it can achieve, would be enough to relay "normal" UMTS connections (and slower). For LTE and full HSDPA, etc. it would be a bottleneck, agreed.

Fast-T

Or would I have to select that on the phone? My phone only offers "Tether via BT" and I have no idea what profile that uses behind the scene or how to control that.

Pair your phone with Win8.1, enable "Tether via BT" on the phone. Go to Devices and Printers in control panel, right click on the phone and select "Connect using Access Point"
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415661558.802380.jpg