What's new

Boot to Bluescreen

Larssral

Hi

My Surface Pro 3 is booting to blue screen. This first appeared when I woke the computer up in the morning and the physical start buttons (bezel and keyboard) weren't working. I restarted the computer and, well, never got back in. Blue screen on several restarts since.

Is there anything I can do or should I just take it in for servicing?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
try the two button shutdown ...
Use this two-button shutdown process to ensure that Surface is turned off completely.
Here’s how:
Step 1:Press and hold the power button on your Surface for 30 seconds.
Step 2:Press and hold the volume-up button and the power button on your Surface at the same time for at least 15 seconds, and then release both.
The screen may flash the Surface logo, but continue holding the buttons down for at least 15 seconds.
Step 3:After you release the buttons, wait 10 seconds.
Step 4:Press and release the power button on your Surface to turn it back on.

If that doesn't work try Refresh or Reset

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en...recovery/restore-refresh-or-reset-surface-pro

OP
L

Larssral

Thanks. I tried that, but it didn't work. I don't have a recovery drive, so I guess I'll be bringing it in to be serviced.

try the two button shutdown ...
Use this two-button shutdown process to ensure that Surface is turned off completely.
Here’s how:
Step 1:Press and hold the power button on your Surface for 30 seconds.
Step 2:Press and hold the volume-up button and the power button on your Surface at the same time for at least 15 seconds, and then release both.
The screen may flash the Surface logo, but continue holding the buttons down for at least 15 seconds.
Step 3:After you release the buttons, wait 10 seconds.
Step 4:Press and release the power button on your Surface to turn it back on.

If that doesn't work try Refresh or Reset

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en...recovery/restore-refresh-or-reset-surface-pro

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
If your SP3 still has the recovery partition I think you can get into recovery with three consecutive boot failures or using Shift - F8 during boot. assuming the hardware is intact enough for that. Some failures just can't be bypassed.