What's new

HowTo Boot to Start Screen in Windows 10

Plantje

I have set the start menu of my Windows 10 machines to display on full screen. However I can't find the option to directly boot to that start screen.

All results of an internet search show options of the task bar properties that I don't have.

(I have posted this question on the Microsoft community as well, but unfortunately (same as in a lot of cases) after some questions from a support employee, no answer was given. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ndows-10/23ec68f4-f8a9-4667-94d2-86edc12b636c)

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Here is how to
Show Start Menu (Start Screen) automatically immediately after bootup:

1) Start Notepad, and paste this in:
Code:
set wShell=wscript.createobject("wscript.shell")
wShell.sendkeys "^{ESC}"
Set WshShell = Nothing
Save as "All Files" and name "ShowStartMenu.vbs" (or customize as you wish).

2) Move or copy the file to
Code:
C:\Users\Your user name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Be sure to change "Your user name" to your user name.

Of course, to make the start menu display full screen, make the change in Settings, Personalization, Start, Use Start full screen.

If you have many items in your Startup folder already, the display of the Start Menu may be delayed until some or all of the other items start.

Enjoy.

showstartmenu_vbs.jpg

snip_20160525134602.jpg

snip_20160525135401.jpg

OP
Plantje

Plantje

Thanks! Good old VBScript. And of course it is that easy...

What I think is strange is that my Surface 3 DOES boot to the start screen automatically. What is most likely different there? The fact that it is a tablet/laptop?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks! Good old VBScript. And of course it is that easy...

What I think is strange is that my Surface 3 DOES boot to the start screen automatically. What is most likely different there? The fact that it is a tablet/laptop?

Your Surface 3 is apparently booting to Tablet mode, meaning the Start Menu will automatically show.

OP
Plantje

Plantje

No, I don't think so. I will check it again later today, but I think it boots in non-tablet mode.

OP
Plantje

Plantje

Haha...I have to admit I was wrong. It doesn't boot to the start screen at all. Anyway, I wanted this for a different computer. I will test the script on that one later. I'll let you know. Thanks again!