What's new

Boot to VHD

RDS

I have a Surface Pr03 with UEFI booting, TPM and Secure Boot enabled.
I want to set up a boot to VHD, and then if needed move the VHD to another non UEFI machine.
Can this be done ?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not having done it myself I'll give it a tentatively possible rating with caveats.
If I recall correctly you would need to have Bitlocker and possibly Secure Boot disabled.
Upgrading the OS in a boot to VHD scenario is not supported although there is a detailed and somewhat convoluted workaround. For Windows 10 I believe that installing major updates like the 1511 update would not work and you'd need to do the workaround.

References:
Hands-on with Windows 10: Upgrading, installing and activating in the real world | ZDNet see the second to last question/answer.

How to use a VHD to dual-boot Windows 8 on a Windows 7 PC | ZDNet

Upgrading Windows 8 boot to VHD to Windows 8.1–Step by step guide

There may be other good references out there but these do cover the essential steps and details.

Make an Image Backup before starting with Macrium Reflect.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The other issues you'll run into is Connected Standby is not supported and you'll need to use hibernate which will increase the size of the VHD you'll need.

OP
R

RDS

I want to be able to boot to a VHD at my work place and then when I work from home, I want to use that VHD on my local machine at home, through Hyper-V
I can't use hyper-v at work since workplace rules won't allow that on a deskop OS.

ramiss

You could create a bootable USB drive with the contents of the VHD on the drive. Pretty sure also that your policy would not be ok with this as well.