What's new

Booting from USB Issue

Plantje

The boot location will remain the same: the USB stick. What it is booting will differ. And that protected and controlled environment can either run on hittka's Surface Book or a virtual machine.

Really curious what hittka will come back with! For now: here in Europe it is time for bed :)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
With Windows 2 Go you can prevent access to the local drive and enforce policies which is difficult with a VM. Data Sovereignty is nor achieved via a VM under Windows 10. Server 2016 supports an untrusted hosts but also requires running headless....

Plantje

I don't see the relevance in comparing Windows To Go to a virtual machine whereas I am proposing using a VM as opposed to using the actual Surface Book's OS. Or actually: using the BIOS of the VM rather than adjusting the EUFI (BIOS) of the Surface Book.

The way I see it: the OP has received a USB stick with an OS and working environment from his employer. When he wants to work he should boot up "a system" from that USB stick. If that is the case I would opt for a VM rather than bypassing everything on my SB and use it as a way over qualified piece of hardware ;)

Plantje

This is always somewhat frustrating... someone asks a question...three times...and when you start discussing options, in order to help someone, no reply....

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
This is always somewhat frustrating... someone asks a question...three times...and when you start discussing options, in order to help someone, no reply....
Welcome to the wonderful world of enthusiast forums that double as unofficial support forums :D - People get a fix or info and leave...

OP
hittka

hittka

Sorry it's taken so long to reply, everyone. I appreciate all your feedback!
So a little background: I'm starting a work-at-home position using the Arise platform for a mini call center. In order to use the Arise platform, I had to purchase a Sandisk USB and flash the desktop onto the USB. Arise stated that secure boot would have to be disabled in order to boot from the USB, and that's the only way I could get it to work, but beyond that they can't answer any technical questions. I will absolutely look into your suggestions, though. However, my internet, connected via ethernet, is also not working when booted from the USB. I'm assuming it's also stemming from whatever is disabling my keyboard(maybe?) so at this point I'm thinking it may not be worth all the trouble and call it quits.

Last edited:
OP
hittka

hittka

I really apologize, life got a bit hectic for a second and I hadn't had a chance to even look at all of the suggestions. Definitely didn't intend to ignore and leave everyone hanging. :)

Also trying your suggestion of the virtual machine at the moment, Plantje. We'll see how this goes and then I'll update.

Last edited:
OP
hittka

hittka

Okay everyone, I tried the VM. Going off of instructions from How to Boot From a USB Drive in VirtualBox for reference, downloaded VirtualBox and followed the instructions. I was able to get to the very end where I'm supposedly able to boot from the USB. It's definitely recognizing it, but my issue is it looks completely different than how it looked when I booted it the other way. It won't let me select any of the options and it never boots up automatically. I was only able to even move the selection highlight once and I'm not even sure how I managed that. So maybe making progress, just have to figure out how to proceed from here. Screenshot for reference. Again, thanks so much to everyone for the input! Would have been completely lost (kind of still am ;)) without it.

Attachments

• Screenshot.JPG
    Screenshot.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 554

Plantje

Everyone has those days every once in a while. It is good that you did get back in the end.

It looks like you're making good progress. Do you have the option to use your mouse to select the proper StartUp option? This definitely has the advantage that you're not sacrificing your normal computer behaviour and you don't need to fiddle with stuff you're perhaps not familiar with.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm assuming it's also stemming from whatever is disabling my keyboard
This is typical of Linux distributions ... Not recognizing the Surface keyboard or other devices like the inbuilt network. The fact that it requires Secure Boot to be disabled is another bad sign and we're probably dealing with something old, out of date...

I'd suggest asking them what machines they support... You can probably pick up something very cheap that will work with whatever they are using, it doesn't even need to be new.

It would probably work with a regular USB keyboard and USB network adapter connected to a powered USB hub. However the Arise System requirements prohibit certain equipment such as "Tablets" and Virtual environments VMware etc.

Requirements:
A desktop/tower computer with a separate monitor is recommended.
• Dual boot machines, Netbooks, and Tablets are prohibited from use.
• All-in-One computers are not currently compatible with any client programs.
• Depending on what client program a call center chooses to service, the use of the Arise Secure Desktop (ASD) may be required. Additional details on the ASD can be found on page 6 of this guide.

Hard-wired connection (no wireless)

http://www.ariseworkfromhome.com/wp...System-and-Equipment-Policy_8-17-17_final.pdf

Their policy expressly prohibits Virtualization and may subject your company to the suspension or termination of its MSA or SOW.

I couldn't (yet) find anything on the Arise ASD which it appears you may be using...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Arise Secure Desktop
The Arise Secure Desktop (ASD)
disables all mounting of USB drives and removable media as well as printers, scanners and access to embedded storage devices.
The hard drive on a user’s machine is rendered non-functional.
We utilize Juniper host checking to disable split tunneling as well as host check the incoming connection to make sure it is coming from the ASD. If this check does not pass then the user is not allowed into our environment. The Juniper logs keep track of who has actually attempted to connect to our network and our security team monitors these to verify user compliance.
The Arise Secure Desktop provides a locked down virtualized endpoint environment.

Ok, I don't think a USB network adapter or wireless will work.
It's not gong to allow access to internal or external storage devices.
I doubt it would work in a VM.
IF you managed to bypass or workaround their locked down configuration they will boot you.