What's new

Bought 2nd hand surface 2, some questions pls

MrMrMr

Loved the surface when seen it. Normally an Apple man, iPads etc.

So I thought I'd buy a 2nd hand surface first and just purchased a Surface 2 32Gb. So...

I know RT is gone now, but is it still supported and is there still decent apps, any new or no apps now getting written for rt.

What is the max SD supported, I believe that you can now store apps etc on the SD card as well as internal to help with storage?

What's the best case. I've also got the type cover 2 for basic protection but wanting a sleeve to put in when travelling. Prefer one to fit, rather than a one that says "accepts from 7-11" just means lots. Prefer a snugger fit.

Any other necessary accessories that people use. Does any of the pens work?

Any way to clean the type cover, does it stay clean?

I've factory reset it, putting all the updates on and I've only got 10Gb free now. The MS support doc says for a surface 2 with 32Gb it should have 18Gb free.

Can I use my MS account but delete the email. I don't want the email on as others in my family will use the surface as well.

Son has a hp 2 in 1 windows 10 on. He has a MS account and we've bought some apps and games. Can you share these between us, like family sharing on iOS? If so job please

Any other hints and tips gratefully accepted whilst I read this forum

Thanks

Last edited:

SteelSteve

I can't answer all your questions, but ill answer what can.
I Surface 2 was advertised as being able to handle up to a 128GB SD card I believe. You may be able to go larger, I've never tried it. As for installing apps on the SD card, Microsoft added this feature to its phone OS, but I don't know of a way to do it on the Surface 2. You can move your users home directory folders to the SD which helps with space a little, but I'm afraid you'll always have to keep an eye on your disk space.

I have the touch cover not the type cover, and its stayed relatively clean, I've tried to clean it with some LCD cleaner, but the results have been mixed.

You do not have to configure the device to read your email, but if each user has their own Microsoft login then they wont see your email.

OP
M

MrMrMr

I bought a 64Gb to be safe. Doesn't look like can save apps to SD which is a shame as after a factory restore and all the updates there's only 14Gb left.

Can't see how to have just my login and not the mail, only way so far is that I've un-installed the mail app. Not sure if this is right

leeshor

I bought a 64Gb to be safe. Doesn't look like can save apps to SD which is a shame as after a factory restore and all the updates there's only 14Gb left.

Can't see how to have just my login and not the mail, only way so far is that I've un-installed the mail app. Not sure if this is right
Some of that space will be recovered over time. There is a large folder called windows.old that will get cleansed up automatically. If you do an image backup you can use Windows' disk cleanup to free up the s[ace now.

OP
M

MrMrMr

Some of that space will be recovered over time. There is a large folder called windows.old that will get cleansed up automatically. If you do an image backup you can use Windows' disk cleanup to free up the s[ace now.
I ran the windows cleanup and included system files. Think that's my lot of space now.

Quite impressed actually so far decent little laptop. Feels natural to sometimes use the keyboard and then the touch screen to

OP
M

MrMrMr

Does the 2 play 1080P MP4 videos fine? On the unit and through the HDMI out to a TV as well? No stutter etc?