What's new

Bought a Wireless 2 camera Baby Monitoring system and it's messing with my Surface!

Surface5280

The camera system is a 2.4ghz system, (but then again what isn't anymore?) I was using the surface while the video monitor was right next to the surface and it wouldn't connect to the internet until I turned off the monitor? I turned it back on and it was having issues with the connection to my wireless router. I changed the channel on my router to see if that helps out, because I have no idea what channel the video monitoring system operates on, and thought maybe there was a conflict on the channels or something?:confused: Anybody have any insight into this problem? Also does the surface operate on the 5ghz range as well? If so I might have to go get a new wireless router that broadcasts in the 5ghz range, because it seems like the 2.4ghz frequency is clogged up with everything operating on that frequency.

Any thoughts, suggestions, comments welcome.

Thx

TrentonT

The Surface will operate in the 5 Ghz channels no problem. You may have to switch to that. I have no information on the Baby Monitor but if it is video across the 2.4 range I have no doubt that it would mess with the wireless at that range.

OP
S

Surface5280

That's good to know that the Surface will operate in the 5 Ghz range because that's what I think I'll have to do. I don't know of any baby monitors that operate in the 5 Ghz range, so I'll probably have to go get a new wireless N router that operates in that range to avoid all of the 2.4 Ghz signals in my house.

TrentonT

I use the Netgear WNDR4500 it is great and the range is incredible. There are a lot of good choices out there

OP
S

Surface5280

I don't have a laptop, just my desktop and my Surface. What I do have is a Wifi Analyzer app on my HTC Evo Lte. What I did was instead of setting my channel statically on my router, I changed it to auto select to see if that helps out with the channel selection? Hopefully the router is smarter than me at selecting the right channel. It has channels 1-11 to choose from. If it doesn't work I'll probably try and get a dual band router to see if the 5Ghz mode will help out with the interference that I'm dealing with.