What's new

Bought Surface 2 Months Ago, Hasn't Worked Yet. . .

BillR

I bought the Surface in October. It hasn't worked yet. . . not even for ten minutes.

The latest issue: It won't let me sign in. I type in the Password, which I know is correct. . . but it won't accept it. It's also not allowing me to change the password.

When I go to my outlook account, it has all kinds of incorrect information (wrong phone numbers, wrong e-mail contact address), none of which I put there. It wouldn't let me change my password.

So now, I'm stuck. My Surface won't accept the correct password, nor will it let me change the password.

I've been on the line for HOURS with tech support and everything they suggested just made it worse.

I put the Surface aside for a while, in disgust. . . tried again tonight, called tech support and they said it would cost $99 for them to help me. I told them that was crazy, to charge me for something that's never worked.

This is the worst purchase I've ever made in my life. I've spent $700 and haven't gotten any use of it at all. It doesn't work and nobody at Microsoft gives a damn. Can anybody give me some advice on the sign-in problem?

kundas1

I would recommend doing a complete recovery and then start from new...I can assure this isn't normal behavior for the Surface. but something doesn't sound right with your story as why/HOW can it have the wrong persons names and numbers as I have never heard this happening in my life. also if you purchased it only back in October there is no way that MS would charge you $99 to help you. also how is it that you can't sign in your Surface but you can get into outlook? maybe your not explaining it correctly or something sounds fishy lol

EMINENT

I bought the Surface in October. It hasn't worked yet. . . not even for ten minutes.

The latest issue: It won't let me sign in. I type in the Password, which I know is correct. . . but it won't accept it. It's also not allowing me to change the password.

When I go to my outlook account, it has all kinds of incorrect information (wrong phone numbers, wrong e-mail contact address), none of which I put there. It wouldn't let me change my password.

So now, I'm stuck. My Surface won't accept the correct password, nor will it let me change the password.

I've been on the line for HOURS with tech support and everything they suggested just made it worse.

I put the Surface aside for a while, in disgust. . . tried again tonight, called tech support and they said it would cost $99 for them to help me. I told them that was crazy, to charge me for something that's never worked.

This is the worst purchase I've ever made in my life. I've spent $700 and haven't gotten any use of it at all. It doesn't work and nobody at Microsoft gives a damn. Can anybody give me some advice on the sign-in problem?

Odd. Why are you just now beginning to see if it works? Most people would check within their return period.

Sounds like you have issues with your Microsoft account, not the Surface. Have you tried creating a new acct. or logging in as a local acct.?

G-man

In my IT environment, it is usually I/O Error (Ignorant Operator) :big smile:

If you have a Microsoft store anywhere near, I would take it there and sort it out.

CrippsCorner

Did you buy this second hand!? Only way I can see it having all the wrong information and not accepting your password etc. you must be able to change this on a website from a different computer.

At the end of the day just exchange it online for a new one, it's hassle free (when it works, see my other thread!) and doesn't cost anything.

EMINENT

Or my boss would say... That's a you problem.

With one post and no other details, this is probably just a troll acct. trying to spread FUD.

ChemCat

My former career was in IT. I've found that problems similar to the OP's descriptions are usually caused by what's between the Earth and the computing device.

jrioux

I had similar problems when I first used my Surface RT, but the MS help desk was very helpful. I think my upgrades got corrupted while they were downloading and/or installing. My machine was as responsive and useful as a brick.

Anyway, tech support walked me through resetting the Surface to the factory setting and reinstalling the updates. I also created a new Outlook.com account. Everything worked fine after that.