What's new

Solved Bought wrong microphone for recording lectures, will this adapter work?

EHoskinson

Aren't the adaptors being suggested use this very "standard"? From previous posts supremekizzle used a combo headset/mic from his PS4 and olimjj used a peanut microphone from his original iPod, and the Surface recorded correctly. Looks like Microsoft conformed their connector to this configuration.

OP
S

supremekizzle

Wish I was updating to say I was successful, alas, I wasn't. I bought this little guy from radio shack.
IMG_20150123_130730030.jpg

The good news is my SP3 at least now recognizes that there is a mic pplugged in.
IMG_20150123_131041885.jpg

However, when I go into onenote and start recording and then play back, I can't hear my voice. There is some sound, almost like putting your ear to a seashell, but that's it. No voice. I've tried various recording quality levels from within onenote, but nothing seems to work. Any more ideas @sharpcolorado? At least there's progress. The SP3 now recognizes the mic and there is some sound, however un-usefull. Thanks

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Yes - high impedance sort of means, impedes highest frequencies (white/background noise), and impedes amplitude (volume). Best for lapel uses, or near the speaker.

Could you try it on a PC or notebook computer somewhere? I'm wondering if your Surface Pro 3 does have a problem with level settings.

OP
S

supremekizzle

Yes - high impedance sort of means, impedes highest frequencies (white/background noise), and impedes amplitude (volume). Best for lapel uses, or near the speaker.

Could you try it on a PC or notebook computer somewhere? I'm wondering if your Surface Pro 3 does have a problem with level settings.

At work currently. Will try it on my Asus Zenbook Prime when I get home.