What's new

Brand new SP3 i7 will not charge.

curney

Hi,

I just opened the box and the SP3 would not turn on. I plugged it and it turned on but it said "plugged in not charging" with battery at 0%. I restarted it and now it says "plugged in charging" and it seems to be charging. Has anyone else had this happen to them? I'm worried I got a bad unit. It should come with a little charge right? The dead battery out of the box and "not charging" thing has me worried.

Thanks,
Charlie

raqball

Mine was at zero when I got it and would not power on. I let it charge for about an hour then booted it ..

kundas1

well you don't know how long it has been sitting at the warehouse... also what, they're supposed to un-wrap it and open everything up, charge it and then put it all back together and re-wrap it and ship it to you? LOL they don't take it fresh off the assembly line and then ship it to you, ya know ;)

kristalsoldier

I find this a bit odd though. I bought mine from a B&M MS store (Toronto). There, after I told the sales person what I wanted and he retrieved the box from the store room, he then proceeded to help me set it up. While I did not really need any help with the setting up, I recognized what he was doing - he was checking out whether all the systems worked as advertised (which they did) and whether there were any cosmetic or other kinds of blemishes. When you guys bought your devices from MS stores did they not do this?

mtalinm

same experience here. I had to turn it off and leave it plugged in for a couple of hours for it to charge. you might try that.

I'll add that it won't charge AT ALL in the dock.

and it loses 10% per hour in "sleep" mode. probably taking it back.

kristalsoldier

same experience here. I had to turn it off and leave it plugged in for a couple of hours for it to charge. you might try that.

I'll add that it won't charge AT ALL in the dock.

and it loses 10% per hour in "sleep" mode. probably taking it back.

Probably for the best. Something definitely seems to be wrong with your unit.

matt-helm

We had an i3 show up that way at our company. After an hour with MS tech support.. I sent it back to CDW and they shipped a new one.