What's new

Brand new type covers for $30 each straight from MS

OP
G

goodintentions

I still fail to understand the controversy with the word here. The end result is MS sent a new device straight from their warehouse or center or whatever. That's straight from MS. How does the word "straight" negate how MS sent me a new device?

I spoke with MS support directly. There are 2 ways to go about making a warranty claim. I can give them my credit card and they send me a new device right away with a box and label for me to send the old one back. In the mean time, they would have a hold on my credit card for $130-something. The other way is I print out a label by MS and send in the broken device. They then will send me a replacement.

They just credited my account, so it took them a little more than a week to credit back my account. My friend just received his type cover, so it would also take a little more than a week if you want to send in your non-working unit for a warranty claim first before they send you a new one.

Now, all the limited part still applies. For example, you can't just jab a knife through the cover and expect them to replace it. It has to have died on its own.

Any other question?

To me, this is like that guy sending the device in for a warranty claim and then post it on ebay for $30. It's pretty much the same thing.

CrippsCorner

I'm going to be super pedantic. You 1) bought a broken device on ebay, 2) waited for it to get shipped to your house, 3) filed a warranty claim and then 4) sent it in and 5) waited for a new one, 6) then received a completely different device. Do you know the difference between "i got a device straight from MS" and "I got a device from MS"? The difference is "straight" implies none of that numbered stuff in the middle took place. I am curious, from start to finish, how long it took you to receive an actual working device "straight" from MS?

I disagree with this. He did get it 'straight' from Microsoft, i.e. it didn't come from some third party and the replacement wasn't through eBay... it was from Microsoft.

The fact he got the original item from eBay is irrelevant. What is relevant is this...

Microsoft --> goodintentions

That's how the new cover was sent. Doesn't get any more straight than that!

Of course, as he explained himself, if he said that he bought the cover 'straight' from Microsoft, that would of course be incorrect.

jefhart

Interesting, it took several weeks for them to credit my account back. Maybe b/c it was a SP2 and not just a type cover?

OP
G

goodintentions

Interesting, it took several weeks for them to credit my account back. Maybe b/c it was a SP2 and not just a type cover?

What was wrong with your sp2 if you don't mind me asking.

When dealing with warranty claims, I've learned that the time line can be erratic at best. For instance, one time I filed a warranty claim with Asus on one of their tablets. I received the repaired tablet within the week that they received it. Then later I sent it in for repair on something else, and it took them 3 weeks to get back to me.

Personally, I have no idea how their systems work.