What's new

HowTo Break (Pause) key on Surface Book 2

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
HOW TO CONFIGURE a BREAK or PAUSE KEY on SURFACE DEVICES

Method A: Use the Onscreen Keyboard

1. Hold the Windows logo key and press R. This tells the Surface you wish to run a command.
2. Type osk and then press Enter. This starts the OnScreenKeyboard.

1605352517080.png

3. The Pause key will be on the right.

Method B: Map the key using your System Registry

1. Hold the Windows logo key and press R. This tells the Surface you wish to run a command.
2. Type regedit and then press Enter. This starts the Registry Editor.
3. Click the Yes response to confirm.
4. Save a backup copy of your Registry by clicking File, then Export.
5. Make sure "All" is chosen as an option, then type backupregistry to give the file a name.
6. Click "Save". The small registry backup file will be saved to your Documents folder by default. You can remove it later if you wish.
7. Now we will browse and scroll to the proper place in your Windows registry, which is
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Current Control Set\Control\Keyboard Layout

Click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
then SYSTEM
then Current Control Set
then Control
then Keyboard Layout

You should now see HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Current Control Set\Control\Keyboard Layout just below the menu options.
1605354054218.png

8. Click Edit, New, Binary Value
9. Type Scancode Map

1605354563302.png

10. Double-click on Scancode Map and type 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 46 E0 44 00 00 00 00 00

1605354881526.png

11. Click OK.
12. Close the Registry Editor window.
13. Reboot (Restart) your Surface.

You can now use Ctrl + F10 for Break (Pause).

AMS

Is there any way to emulate a Break key on a Surface Book 2?
These are not the same thing...but traditionally, IIRC, ^C would work for break, and ^S for pause. This was the standard for CP/M and MS-DOS systems, and I believe still works in CMD and other command-line environments.

OP
Cronk

Cronk

@sharpsuser Thank you for responding. That worked fine and you've made me a happy laddy. Incidentally, I was wanting to perform a Control + Break but the system must just recognize that the Control key is pressed.

@AMS Those keys do not work with VBA

AMS

@sharpsuser Thank you for responding. That worked fine and you've made me a happy laddy. Incidentally, I was wanting to perform a Control + Break but the system must just recognize that the Control key is pressed.

@AMS Those keys do not work with VBA
Ah! Did not realize you were asking w/r/t VBA.