What's new

Breaking Down Specific Details of Each Version of the New Microsoft Surface Tablet

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
microsoft-surface-pink-back.jpg

We thought it would be useful to you guys if we sifted through the mountain of data released about the new Microsoft Surface Windows Tablet and break some of it down into the two versions. Here are some easy to digest bullet-points below:

Surface RT tablet Primary Specs - Will Launch in the Fall and will include Microsoft Office (likely the Home & Student Edition) at no extra charge
  • Windows RT
  • Nvidia ARM Processor
  • Front and rear "HD" cameras
  • 9.3mm thick & 23.85 ounces
  • 10.6-inch ClearType HD Display (Maybe 1,280x720 display although unconfirmed)
  • 31.5 watt hour battery
  • microSD, USB 2.0, micro HD video, 2x2 MIMO antennae
  • Storage: 32GB and 64GB for Windows RT
Surface Pro Primary specs - Launches about 90 days after the Surface RT - May also come with a higher end version of Microsoft Office
  • Windows 8 Pro operating system
  • Intel third-generation Core i5 CPU
  • Front and rear "HD" cameras
  • 13.5mm thick & 31.85 ounces
  • 10.6-inch ClearType "Full HD" Display (Maybe 1,920x1,080 pixel resolution - although unconfirmed)
  • 42 watt hour battery
  • microSDXC, USB 3.0, mini DisplayPort video
  • Storage options: 64GB and 128GB
Rumors suggest that the Surface RT may sell at a price point of $500 bucks to directly compete with the iPad, and the Surface Pro may sell for upwards of $1000, but will instead be positioned to compete with laptops, Macbook Air, and ultrabooks.

We will let you guys know if we find out anything new.

guidot

<span style="font-weight:bold; color: #cb194b;">Ad
Wow, even $500 seems steep if they really want to "compete."

I think if they get the early adopters out of the way and drop it $100 within 3 months, they'll be set (RT I mean).

Sparky7474

I don't think its a hbad price, considering all the things they can and will add to it such as, Xbox smart glass, its own market place for games, apps, and books ( that's where Barnes and Nobles comes in), and I'm sure other cool things.

J515OP

Super Moderator
The price seems to be right in the pocket for an ARM device of these specs. Android has a tendency to skew thinking towards cheaper with things like the Kindle Fire and soon to be announced Nexus tablets. It you look at the big boys though this is fine assuming comparable performance. It looks like most high end 10" tablets are in the $399 to $999 range (any wonder since that is where Apple set the market). Of course some models include cellular at the higher prices but a price around $500 seems to be a very good range considering. Of course the other OEMs can make the cheaper Windows RT tablets.

iPad2 - $399-$529
(new) iPad - $499-$829
Asus - $399-$599
Acer - $399-$999
Samsung - $399-$599

Last edited: