What's new

brightness keeps adjusting according to the on screen/browser content

Hi all

purchased two surface 2 for me and my son as presents for Xmas.

Love the hardware but the software .......arghhhhhh
There is this annoying problem with the brightness on both tablets that drives me nuts.
Every time the browser content changes to brighter colors the screen brightness goes up and down and it looks almost like flickering.
The same happens on the main screen with the live tiles.
I know this has been reported before and there are also videos but come on Microsoft why do we buy your tablets for if not for comfortable browsing of the mighty internet .
Anyway I have tried to reset/refresh restore also I have updated to the latest firmware but nothing.
The adaptive brightness on or off doesn't make any difference so it must be a software /driver problem .

Am I missing something ?

Are Microsoft aware of this problem ? Are they working on a fix ?

OP
E

emiliofragiacomo

I did say in my post that the auto /adaptive brightness doesn't make any difference if it's on or off.
That was the first thing I done .
I have updated with the latest firmware and I have noticed that the Tegra Driver is still the old one from August .I doesn't seem to want to update to the latest one .
What are your latest Tegra drivers ?
Mine are version 9.17.13.2672 from 13/08/2013 .
I did try to update manually but it say updated and it reverts back to the old one.

OP
E

emiliofragiacomo

My son left his surface to update automatically and he has the right drivers now .

I did try to update manually on mine but it says updated and it reverts back to the old one.
On my sons Surface even with the latest drivers the screen adaptive brightness still cannot be turned off it is just like before it changes based on the screen or browser content ,what I mean is that even if you go and turn the adaptive brightness off from the control panel it has no effect at all.

EMINENT

This is something i've noticed before and still do as well. Only happens at the very low settings like below 20-30%.

Unfortunately, I don't know if MS knows about this or will do anything. As slow as molasses as they are, I doubt we'll see any improve anytime soon.

OP
E

emiliofragiacomo

I wonder how many people have this issue but haven't actually noticed it .Maybe we should come up with a simple test to see how the other surface 2 screens react .The worse for me is when I browse my favorite forums and the background changes from grey to white to grey again .

EMINENT

The simplest test is turn brightness all the way down and scroll the start screen where there is different, varied, colored tiles.

OP
E

emiliofragiacomo

The screen back light should react to the intensity of the ambient (room) lighting.
In darker environment the screen should dim and the opposite happens when you go in the direct sunlight,and this should only happen if you select the auto brightness.
In my case the ambient (room) lighting does not change .im in the same room and if my browser content changes from darker to brighter colours the brightness jumps up and down creating some sort of flickering effect .that is with the auto brightness switched on or off.
The same happens when scrolling horizontally on the Metro UI going from darker colours tiles to the white one like the Ebay. You can see the same problem here [video=youtube_share;gplcq2XyMZc]http://youtu.be/gplcq2XyMZc[/video]

and here [video=youtube_share;J07Xfzxfdbg]http://youtu.be/J07Xfzxfdbg[/video]

ctitanic

ok from the video, it seems that you are in a very dark room. I would like to see how it works if you have disable the auto auto /adaptive brightness. The other thing is that if your display driver still in the august version chances are that this is already fixed in the December update but you are one of the many like me where the December update did not ended right and as result you are stuck with the wrong driver. MS is working in a fix for that according to the company's statement released at their forum.

Omni

I think it might be the lighting in your room. Have you tried anywhere else put the house?

OP
E

emiliofragiacomo

The two videos are made by two different people on two different Surface 2 machines.
As I said in my previous posts the brightness setting does not make any difference if is ON or OFF.
And yes I have tried in different light conditions and the back lighting reacts to the content of the screen as seen in the two videos.

Happy new year !

EMINENT

I think it might be the lighting in your room. Have you tried anywhere else put the house?

This is clearly an issue that is happening to multiple people including myself. Instead of speculating, please watch the video or test for yourself so you can see what is happening.